Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: The Matchmaker

Reviewed by Shelly
 
I’ve ready Thayer King’s work in the past and I’ll be honest and say I wasn’t too keen on her writing. I’m just not a fan of the over-sexed male. This story was a pleasant surprise and a good read.

Bliss Barnes is the quintessential friend who can’t keep a man and is also the ‘big’ girl of the group. She’s known as the matchmaker in her circle of girlfriends because whoever she’s dating will end up married to one of her girlfriends. (Can you really call those people friends?).

During Bliss’s last disaster of a date, one of her so-called friends rudely interrupts and even worse – flirts with the guy and accepts a ride home from him. (Arghh, you know the word I wanna call her friend.) Bliss decides she’s just done with the whole dating thing. I couldn’t agree with her more, but I was more on the side of losing some of those ‘friends’.

After agreeing to --and being set up on-- a blind date by one of her friends, Bliss meets Aric Ericson who she thinks is gay after seeing him in an intimate scene at a restaurant during her last ill-fated date. I think this misunderstanding allows Bliss and Aric to really get to know each other. They’re both interested, but won’t make a move for their own personal reasons. There’s no quick wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am here, and that allows an actual development of a friendship. Although Bliss thinks he’s gay, Aric thinks she’s sexy and he’s doing everything in his power to get her to agree to something more than friendship. After agreeing to accompany Bliss on an out of town trip to attend a wedding (remember Bliss’s last bad date and the rudus interruptus friend – yep, their wedding) Aric decides that this will be the place for his big seduction. Aric is very cute if you like ‘em big, blonde, icy blues and handsome – umm, did I already say big, yeah he’s that too.

I really enjoyed the emotional growth of Bliss, she needed to grow up especially with those piranhas for friends she’s got; and she does finally show maturity and common sense when she has something of her own that’s worth fighting for. I loved the confrontation between her and Shantelle. I’m not a big fan of unnecessary violence in story, but, Shantelle, you know you had that coming.

I thought the ending was a bit too quick and convenient, but that didn’t take away from the story for me at all. In fact, this was a really good read and I’ll definitely read more from this author if the quality of the story is as good as this one. And just because – I left this part for last, Aric is packing some serious heat in the bedroom for which Bliss will tell you she’s eternally grateful.

Happy reading folks!

Rating: B

Click to purchase: Amazon
The Matchmaker
by Thayer King
Release Date: August 15, 2012
Publisher: Sugar and Spice Press

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home