Monday, September 17, 2012

Review: The Curse

Reviewed by Jen
 
I really enjoy the Belador series.  I think it's because the heroine, Evalle, is just so damn easy to root for. She has been kicked down, abused, and maligned her entire life. She is considered a monster, even by those she lives to protect. But she never wavers. She never acts dishonorably. She simply accepts those things about herself that she can not change and she soldiers on, always fighting the good fight.

As this third installment of her story begins, she is on the hunt for others of her kind.  The goddess who oversees the Beladors has agreed to recognize Alterants as a race within her pantheon. But only if Evalle can bring them forward and they swear their fealty.  First and foremost, she wants to find Tristan, but her search has been stymied by a rash of troll attacks in the Atlanta area.  She must work with her VIPER team-mates to protect the humans.

On top of that, Storm is missing. And as he slowly reenters the picture, she must continue to come to terms with her feelings for him. (And Isaak too.) There is strain in her friendship with Quinn... let's not forget that he led the Medb to her at the end of the last book.  He is trying to deal with his feeling for Kazira --while poor Tzader tries to honor his vow to let Brina go.

Plus... more trolls.  Giant, black-ops, demon-infused, bounty-hunter trolls.

It's all part of the Medb plan to breach Brina's sanctuary and vanquish the Beladors.  There's a lot of scheming, machinations and betrayals.  There's also much violence and bloodshed.  You won't find many dull moments.

However, I don't feel like we moved forward much here.  Don't get me wrong, I was never bored. I was invested in the characters and deeply ensconced in this very complicated world.  But in many ways this installment was almost like a placeholder.  There were no huge developments in any of the relationships --and there are a lot of relationships at play.  No big revelations about the Alterant race. No big movement in the war with Medb. I mean, stuff happens, it's just nothing game changing.

Did I enjoy the book? Absolutely.  I love Evalle. I love Storm. And I am dying for Brina and Tzader to have some happiness. Or at least get on the path to it.  It feels a little stalled, though. I wanted more. It all sort of seemed like baby steps. I'm ready for these characters to make some strides. 

If you're interested in the Belador series, I strongly urge you to start from the beginning with Blood Trinity. I just don't think this is a series where you want to jump in, mid-way through.

Rating: B

*ARC Provided by Pocket Books

Click to purchase: Amazon
The Curse
by Sherrilyn Kenyon & Dianna Love
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Pocket Books

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Monday, September 17, 2012 at 9:17:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted more Brina and Tzander. Their story is frustrating and sad :-(

 
At Monday, September 17, 2012 at 9:54:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I know!! It's not fair. :(

 
At Monday, September 17, 2012 at 7:09:00 PM CDT , Blogger Karen said...

This one sounds pretty confusing but definitely interesting. I'm going to have to check out Blood Trinity.

 
At Monday, September 17, 2012 at 7:18:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

The world-building is complicated, definitely. But I really like the series! Let me know if you give it a try. :)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home