Saturday, September 15, 2012

Review: Someone to Love

Reviewed by Shelly
 
This is a really short read (about 44 pages) and it’s a bit of a punch in the gut in how its characters are so anti-hero/heroine.

Because of her scarred face Raina has retreated into herself. Working for the same company, she and Bill the Junkie embark on what has the potential to change both of their lives.

Now folks because this is a short read, the review will follow suit. What I really liked about this story was the potential for something great but I didn't read that at all and I was sorely disappointed. What I read was the day in the life of a junkie who wanted to stay a junkie and a physically scarred girl who I had absolutely NO sympathy for once I found out how she got her scars. The penance she’s paying I thought was very fitting and well deserved. Before you think I’m being harsh, you have to read the reason why Raina’s face is scarred; she’s not an innocent at all.

Did I think that these two should be together? I wouldn't say that they should but then again I guess it’s hard to create solid characters in 44 pages. The end was a very rushed and way too easy, all I could do was shake my head and call BS on that.

I’ll say this – it’s great to have good writers who have a knack for writing imperfect but redeemable characters but there’s got to be something that I/we the readers can empathize with and invest our emotions (and dollars) into. I’ve had good luck with Pace’s novels in the past and I’m sure I will again because with every good writer there will be hits and misses.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: C


Click to purchase: Amazon
Someone to Love
by Pepper Pace
Release Date: August 4, 2012

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 12:33:00 PM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

I'm surprised there was a story at all in 44 pages!

 
At Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 7:09:00 PM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

You and be both Allison. I would have been much happier if I felt like I was on their side, but alas I wasn't. I was going to grade it lower but the story made me feel (like crap, but that still counts as feeling in my book) so I added points for that.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home