Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: Full Blooded

Reviewed by Jen
 
If you're looking for a solid werewolf urban fantasy, look no further.  Amanda Carlson delivers with this first full length installment in her new Jessica McClain series.  It's got fantastic characters, hot sex and some awesome action sequences... not to mention good pacing and an interesting story.

Jessica was born as a daughter to the pack Alpha. But the thing is, there are no females born to werewolves.  Her whole life, she has been met with suspicion and derision. Once she passed puberty without shifting, she thought she would live out her life as a human.  She left the pack behind, starting a new life with a new name.  Everything was going well, until her wolf decided it was time to surface.

With her first shift, Jessica is forced to return to the pack.  Her relationship with her father and brother are restored, but there are plenty of other wolves who see her as a threat. A prophecy says that a female werewolf will be an instrument of evil and eventually bring about the end of their race.  Jessica is pretty sure she's not evil, but neither is she an average shifter. She is something special.  Jess must figure out how to find balance with her wolf, while new threats to her safety come one after another.

I really liked Jessica's voice.  She is strong and independent, but I never found her arrogant or over-confident.  In fact, she was actually kind of humble and it was awesome watching her realize her potential.  There is a strong cast of supporting characters, like her brother Ty and packmate James. (I do think Nick was a little under-utilized.)  We've even got a love interest, who is very sexy and super-mysterious.  And don't forget about that sex I mentioned earlier.   Yowza.  The romantic element evolved a bit suddenly, but I have a more patience with this in mate-stories than in traditional romance.

With the big climax, Carlson answered all my questions about who's been gunning for Jess. But she also opens a whole new can of worms with a set-up for the next book.  I am equal parts excited and frustrated.  Excited because it looks like it will be one hell of a second installment.  Frustrated because I won't be able to read it until next March.  Cliffhangers keel me, but apparently Amanda Carlson loves an open dangler.

Rating: B+

*ARC provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
Full Blooded
by Amanda Carlson
Release Date: September 11, 2012
Publisher: Orbit

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Monday, September 10, 2012 at 9:10:00 AM CDT , Blogger Mandi said...

This one was just okay for me. But I'm excited for this series. I like this author's voice

 
At Monday, September 10, 2012 at 9:28:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed this one! I LOVED it! I'm also more accepting on the insta-love factor whenever the "true mate" card it used. Great review!

 
At Monday, September 10, 2012 at 5:30:00 PM CDT , Blogger Karen said...

Why did I think this was YA??? Everyone is in love with this one.

 
At Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 1:40:00 AM CDT , Blogger roro said...

gr8 review . i want it badlyy

 
At Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 1:55:00 AM CDT , Blogger Mardel said...

Your review makes me want to try out this novel. I finally found an excerpt, but it's too short to really give a good clue to writing style for dialog. Which I'm obsessed with - dialog styles. :) Guess I'll just have to give it a chance next book buying spree. *g* Thanks for the heads up on a new novel.

 
At Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:42:00 PM CDT , Blogger Lesley said...

I reshuffled my TBR pile after reading your review Jen. If you liked it I'm pretty sure I will too:)

 
At Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 6:54:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

No. Definitely not YA!

 
At Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 6:58:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

You can also check out the prequel novella, Blooded, which I really enjoyed as well!

 
At Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 6:59:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Awesome! I hope you like it. :)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home