Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Review: Charmeine (Books 1-3)

Reviewed by Shelly
 
Whoosh...

This was a very interesting read. The premise of Light-Bearers (the natural enemies of Blood-Hunters and vice-versa) was refreshingly new and I couldn’t wait to read how that would play out. Tabbruis ‘Tab’ is a Blood-Hunter, while Charmeine, a Light-Bearer, is his long forgotten love.

There were a few things that I didn’t like about this story. One was the dialogue. I’m not sure why certain words in the dialogue had contractions and modern vernacular while others didn’t. For example – “Well, you can’t get your meals at the A&P, so not at all, if I eat, you must also”. Huh?? That happened quite a bit through the story and I found myself having to stop and re-read because I wasn’t sure if I understood what was going on. Another was paragraph structure. In a given paragraph there could be multiple conversations going on – between two characters and internal dialogue for each character. Again, I had to re-read to make sure I knew who was having the conversation.

What I liked about this book was the love story and growing relationship between Tab and Charmeine. These two characters had honorable traits that were admirable. I like them individually and I really wanted them to get together --and stay together-- as a couple. I liked how, despite all things, they fought for each other. Now don’t get me wrong, Tab definitely had some things that he had to work out, because by nature he’s a blood hunter who kills for food. However, there’s no mention of him doing that after he had a life altering moment pretty early in his earthly existence.

There’s a lot of action that goes on, a lot of obstacles, namely the Elder Council who did not want these two together. Along with some good friends made along the way, this couple kept fighting through it all and that was the main reason why I was on their side, because who wouldn’t want to have the chance to be with their chosen one?

Overall, I would recommend this book if you’re in the mood for something different but don’t expect any sex scenes because there aren’t any.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: B-

*
This review actually encompasses Books 1-3 in the Light Bearer series: Charmeine, Mactus, and Accendo.  They were provided together --as a single volume-- by the author. 

Click to purchase: Amazon or Enter to Win
Charmaine
by Emily Guido
Release Date: January 12, 2012

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home