Friday, August 17, 2012

Review: Changeling

Reviewed by Jen
 
I don't even know where to begin. I want to begin at the ending, because I am still shaking my head... kind of... stunned by how it all went down. I won't spoil you, of course, but I will say that never in a million years did I expect what happened in those last few chapters.

This is book two in Kelly Meding's MetaWars series, but the main character is no longer longer Trance. Dahlia, the newest member of the super-hero team has taken the lead role. The story is told from her first person POV.

It's been six months since the events of book one and the heroes-formerly-known-as-Rangers are setting up shop in an old mansion they're using as a home-base. Dahlia is still learning her powers and she still feels a little like an outsider in the group. They are trying to find their place in the world, helping the police where they can -- keeping humanity safer. Their latest case is a gruesome one.  Someone is killing people and leaving only the husks of their victims behind.  Something Bad happens early on that forces the team to pursue the killer without Trance.

Over and over, this book shocked me with the way things unfolded. I was prepared for several deaths. In fact, I remember thinking to myself that the series would end once Kelly Meding has finally finished killing off all the characters.  But it really wasn't that simple.  There is so much play about what makes a hero and what constitutes a villain. Doing the wrong thing for the right reason. Shades of grey.  It made it hard to know even where my own loyalties lie.  Meding made these characters straddle a very uncomfortable line, prompting me to feel both empathy and revulsion, along with my confusion, paranoia, whatever emotion makes your mouth hang open until you realize you look like an idiot.

There's a bit of romance here, but it's not as clearly defined as it was in Trance.  There are all of these big emotions between Dahlia and Noah, but 1) not enough time passes for it to be believable for me and 2) there is not much in the way of outward expression of these feelings.  (ie. No getting busy.)  Yet I found myself rooting for them... then rooting against them... then rooting for them again.  And then the end came and my head exploded.

I know you may be thinking to yourself, "Jen, this is the worst review you have ever written. It tells me nothing."  At least, that is what I am thinking as I write it. Because I am so damn afraid of spoiling it.  All I can say is that it was good. It took me on a crazy ride.  I still have not recovered.  And I'm very conflicted about the ending.  I'd really like the circumstances to change in the next book.

Rating: B

Click to purchase: Amazon
Changeling
by Kelly Meding
Release Date: June 26, 2012
Publisher: Pocket Books

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At Friday, August 17, 2012 at 9:31:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who loves to have romance in her books (me), I kinda sorta loved that this was not a romance book at all, which surprised me. Usually I need more, but felt totally satisfied with this.
This review is very very cute. :)

 
At Friday, August 17, 2012 at 10:20:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I was shocked at how far in we were before they actually kissed and then... blarg... spoiler, spoiler, spoiler.

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 7:17:00 AM CDT , Blogger Julie said...

"Jen, this is the worst review you have ever written. It tells me nothing." LMAO! But really, it`s hard to write a review for this one! I am glad you (mostly) enjoyed it. ;) I love Kelly`s writing - makes you curse like a sailor. Love me an author who can pull that sort of passion out of me.

 
At Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 12:10:00 PM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

How did you feel about the POV changing? Did it drive you crazy or was it refreshing?

 
At Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 12:35:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I was a little sad at first because I would have been happy with more from Trance, but Dahlia grew on me. POV changes help keep series fresh, so I'm cool with it.

 
At Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 12:42:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I did enjoy it. I'm holding out hope that she "fixes" things, though.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home