Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"OMG, It's Kelly Meding" & other AAD stories

Yesterday, I talked a little about the larger than life authors I fell head-over-heels with at AAD last week. But love comes in many forms. I met many charming, sweet, and (even shy) authors, who didn't have to get big laughs to be memorable.

Let me tell you a little story about Kelly Meding. If you're not familiar with her, she's an Urban Fantasy author who writes the Dreg City books and the MetaWars series. Anyway, I was trying to find Dakota Cassidy's table to stalk her at lunch Saturday, when I passed Kelly sitting quietly at her table. I enjoy her books, so I decided to sit with her instead. Joining us at our table were several other readers and authors, including Andrew Grey, who writes m/m. We talked and ate some surprisingly good mystery-meat (I still don't know what the hell that was.)

Back when Kelly didn't run from me

I recounted the story of running into Jeaniene Frost at the coffee shop and how proud I was that I didn't pounce on the poor woman as she tried to buy her fruit salad. Andrew told me that most authors don't mind being approached if the reader is respectful. He then went on to tell me about his worst fan experience, where two girls trapped him in an elevator during a con, jumping up and down, screaming "Oh my God, you're Andrew Grey." That's when Kelly somberly said, "I wish someone would jump up and down for me."

This was before I screamed her name.

I'll bet you can guess what happened next. The entire table started jumping up and down in our seats, screaming, "Oh my God, it's Kelly Meding." I also did it at the book signing. In the lobby outside of the bar. And I told friends to do it randomly throughout the day. I never knew anyone could turn that particular shade of burgundy. Suffice it to say, Kelly is a blusher.... And she probably hates me now.

Jess, Allison, & PJ

For Thursday's lunch, I sat next to Allison Pang. She teased me by showing me the eARC of Trace of Moonlight on her i-thingie.  (I'm still waiting for that .pdf, Allison!!)


The nicest, most personable author I met was probably Cynthia Eden. She and Katie Reus just came up and started talking to me in the lobby.  Later, Cynthia and I went on an expedition trying to find a poorly labeled meeting room.  She was just so genuine and sweet. (And super pretty.)

I spent some time chatting with the awesome Carolyn Crane, who was very down to Earth... and Amanda Carlson --who I always seemed to find in the hotel bar or on the way to it.

Me with Amanda Carlson


OOOoooh. I met Sylvia Day, who says she is still writing her next Crossfire book and even planned on working on it in her room.  And Jeaniene Frost, who was just as nice as could be. She even talked about a 10 inch cock in her UF panel. (That's my kind of girl!)


There were more. Authors were everywhere.  I was drunk on them (or maybe I was drunk on those free vodka/ cranberries from Mel's open bar.)  But you get the idea.  What blew me away is that some of them actually knew who I was.  That was a really strange feeling.  Cool, but strange.

More NOLA happenings, including my fun times with fellow bloggers, still to come...

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 1:29:00 PM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

Looks like so much freaking fun! I so wish I went there. Not just for the authors and bloggers but its New Orleans. I have always wanted to go there, and that would have been a perfect excuse.

I love all the recaps and pictures. I am so going to RT! So I will see you then.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 1:32:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tina Moss said...

Looks like a great event. And I do not believe, no one has ever screamed for Kelly Meding before. Kelly, if you read this, not buying it, and yes, I'm screaming next time I see you. :D

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 2:21:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I also screamed at Kelly at the book signing (I was at the same lunch table). She blushed and told me that 3 others have already did that. Then later I heard another person (not at our lunch table) scream at her. LOL

She's just a great person and author. If you have not checked out her books you should!

Oh and the 10 inch cock comment by Frost was classic.

Good times.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 2:23:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

YAY!! RT. We will make memories...... I'll make sure to take more pictures at RT than I did at AAD.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 2:48:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

All the cool kids are doing it! LOL. Yes, she is a lovely person and I loved the Dreg City books. In honor of Kelly, I am reading Trance as we speak.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 2:48:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Another Kelly fan!

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 2:48:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

RT will be epic.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 3:24:00 PM CDT , Blogger littleread1 said...

Sounds like a blast!! One of these days I will make it to a con. :-)

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 3:25:00 PM CDT , Blogger Brie said...

I loooove Cythia Eden. Every time I see "cream" and "thicker than her wrist" I think of her! LOL

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 3:27:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

It's definitely worth it. I had so much fun.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 3:28:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

...ew...and ouch...

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 4:17:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

It looks like you gals had tons of fun! I'm sooooo jealous. LOL :)

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 4:17:00 PM CDT , Blogger Eva / TXBookjunkie said...

Cynthia Eden was sooooo nice! I may have stalked her just a little bit...

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 4:33:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

We did, but it would have been so cool to have you there Carmel!

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 4:33:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I know, right?? And it seemed real and not forced. Loved her.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 6:14:00 PM CDT , Blogger Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

No worries, Jen, I still think you're awesomesauce. I laughed out loud reading your recap. I may have blushed, but you helped create one of my favorite memories of AAD, so thank you!!! *hugs*

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 8:03:00 PM CDT , Blogger Andrew Grey said...

I hada fabulous time at the con. I met great people the entire time and I adored jumping up and down with you

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 8:38:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yay!! I'm so glad. :)

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 8:38:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

The pleasure was all mine!

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 8:51:00 PM CDT , Blogger Julie said...

OMG wasn't it amazing/odd when authors knew who you were! And the Kelly thing...OMG too awesome. You are right, she is a blusher. And such a good sport. Bet she is never going to wish someone does that ever again. LOL Cynthia Eden truly is amazingly sweet and...well all the authors were amazing. It was such an amazing experience and it was super to meet you Jen. Maybe next time we meet I should shout "OMG It's Jen at Red Hot Books!!!" just for you. ;)

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 8:53:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yes, amazing and odd!!

I loved meeting you Julie. You will definitely get a shout-out in my post on the AAD bloggers. :)

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 9:13:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Great post Jen!! I also thought Kelley Meding was awesome!!! So neat to get to meet all the authors, a lot them new- to-me, now I wish I would had read a lot of them before the convention.
I thought you were great, and I think you are fantastic girl, It was a pleasure to meet you.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 9:19:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I thought YOU were great. I had so much fun at Cat's Meow with you guys!!

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 10:29:00 PM CDT , Anonymous MamaKitty said...

I totally screamed and it was beyond EPIC. Kelly was really cool about it... after she stopped laughing and turned back to her normal color. The whole con was so wonderful and I'm so happy that I went. Loved every single moment!

 
At Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 4:52:00 PM CDT , Blogger Midnyte Reader said...

I would have totally screamed for Kelly Meding...I restrained myself though. I did hold an elevator full of people open so she could sneak on though.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home