Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: The Virgin Huntress

Reviewed by Shelly
 
Picking up directly after A Wild Night’s Bride, this story tells the story of Ned’s daughter, Vesta, and Ludovic’s brother, Captain Hewett DeVere.

At eighteen, it’s time for Vesta to have her coming out. In the middle of enjoying his honeymoon and his new wife, Ned reluctantly agrees that Vesta’s godmother Diana can accompany her to London. He gives a strict warning that when they get there they are to contact his best friend and Vesta’s godfather, Lord Ludovic DeVere. I can already feel the tension.

On their arrival to London Vesta gets her first glimpse of Hew and completely falls in love, or so she says. But when Hew sees Diana, he’s head over heels and sets his sights on her. Now while all this is going on like a well-timed soap opera, Ludovic throws down a challenge to his brother. You see folks, Ludovic doesn’t want to marry and produce heirs, and so he challenges Hew to marry (and hopefully procreate) in exchange of property and cash.

Vesta, with Ludovic’s help, plots to get Hew. And so begins the shenanigans to get those two out of the way so that Ludovic can get on with his tomfoolery of a life. He thinks he’s quite the sneaky devil.

Although I enjoyed this story I just couldn’t get over how selfish and spoiled that Vesta was. She did some really silly and childish things in the name of love and I didn’t get the sense that she ever learned her lesson. Furthermore I didn’t think she was deserving of Hew. Now the relationship between Ludovic and Diana is a different fish altogether.  I can’t think of two other people more deserving of each other and I can’t wait to read their story.

The sex scene between Vesta and Hew was good, but I really enjoyed the spanking that she got beforehand, that was well played.

Overall while I enjoyed this story I can’t wait for the next one in the series. The epilogue rocked my boat. It goes a little something like this - Diana is frantically searching for Vesta, she suspects Ludovic knows something and pays him a visit. She gets to his house, of course he’s occupied and has given the butler strict instructions to not interrupt. Well, Diana is not having that – not today anyway. She walks right into the room where he’s having an orgy and starts talking to him. Can you imagine the balls to do that? Before she leaves she tells DeVere, she’ll expect him at 9 the following morning and he responds with some utter non-sense that he rarely gets up before two in the afternoon. Diana comes back with - "You will call, my lord, or you will much regret my methods of rouse you." I love it! I think my new crush Ludovic is about to get his and then some in The Devil You Know.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: B-

*Book provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
Wild Night's Bride
by Victoria Vane
Release Date: June 29, 2012
Publisher: Breathless Press

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 8:20:00 AM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

I really can't stand spoiled heroines, it sort of ruins the love story!

 
At Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 2:13:00 PM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

You and me both! I wanted to just hold her by the shoulders and shake then beat her down on principle right after :-)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home