Sunday, June 17, 2012

Review: Touch of the Gods: The Wager

Reviewed by Allison
 
Touch of the Gods is the story about Hephaestus, god of inventions, blacksmiths, and volcanoes. We first meet Hephaestus after his long-awaited divorce from the Goddess of Love, Aphrodite. Heph's nephew, Eros, tells him about a friendly family wager between Eros & his father, Heph's brother, Ares. Ares doesn't think Heph could get a woman ever again but Eros, always the believer in happy endings & love, knows that he can & not just any woman, but a mortal one. So, Eros sets Heph up with a job, a house, & a cover identity & watches him fall for his voluptuous neighbor, Vanessa.

The attraction between them is instant & sizzling...but they don't act on it. Something that Hephaestus will come to regret since, willing to do anything to win a battle of every sort, Ares takes Vanessa as his own. The only problem is that the Touch of a God is an addictive & harmful thing for mortals & Vanessa completely changes once under Ares' spell of lust. Eros & Hephaestus come up with a plan to humiliate Ares & make him leave Vanessa alone once & for all - but even after Ares gives up, the real challenge has just begun.

I enjoyed the concept of this book, but I'll admit I'm not completely sold on the execution. I would have enjoyed it more if the plot, especially the whirlwind romance between Heph & Vanessa, was a little more fleshed out. The characters were interesting & you can tell that Luc has done her Greek mythology research which is always a pleasure to see. Ares is a complete dick & I hated how easily changed Vanessa was even though it was all a symptom of the Touch. Hephaestus was not really what I pictured the god of blacksmiths to be, but he was still a sweetheart. I think the biggest disappointment for me was that I understood that Hephaestus loved Vanessa, but I didn't understand why. He Touched her & all of a sudden, she's his soulmate? I didn't get it. Their courtship was sweet but even that didn't actually start until more than halfway through the book after he had already decided she was The One. I felt the lust, just not the love.

Touch definitely had its hot scenes although the language didn't always flow - a mix of dirty & formal in the same paragraph, sometimes sentence, was confusing for the reader. If you're looking for a hot book with interesting greek mythology, you've found it but I wouldn't count on the storyline.

Rating: C

*Book provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
Touch of the Gods: The Wager
by DX Luc
Release Date: May 4, 2012
Publisher: Sinful Restraints Publishing

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Monday, June 18, 2012 at 1:16:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tina B said...

Thank you for the honest review, Jen. I have this on my TBR because while I am fascinated with Greek mythology, I have not read too many books on it. :)

 
At Monday, June 18, 2012 at 3:03:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ares is certainly a jerk. Thanks too, for the honest review.

Jess1
strive4bst at yahoo dot com

 
At Monday, June 18, 2012 at 5:13:00 PM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

Glad you ladies appreciated it, I cringe when I dislike an author's book, especially when they've been so gracious, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who love it to balance the scales out a bit ;)

Tina, if mythology interests you, you should check out Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series! She mixes in well known mythos along with her own, it's a long series but well worth it!

 
At Monday, June 18, 2012 at 6:44:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tina B said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Allison. I have read all but the new book (which is in the mail) in the Dark Hunter Series and LOVE them! :)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home