Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: The Hunter and the Hunted

Reviewed by Jen
 
As the clock ticks down on the release of the last novel in the Otherworld series, Kelly Armstrong gives us this novella to tide us over until July. It features two short stories. "Off Duty Angel" is new. "Stalked" was previously released as part of My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon. I've read it before, but I enjoyed reading it again here.

"Stalked" is a Clay POV about his honeymoon with Elena. It's really important to him to get it just right. Elena didn't have the wedding of her dreams. Clay ruined that idea 18 years ago when he turned her into a werewolf. But, the honeymoon... he wants to make that perfect for her. Only, a mutt is stalking them. Clay tries to hide it from Elena, but that doesn't quite work out. The good news is... taking down the mutt together may be the highlight of their trip.

Clay and Elena are my favorite couple in the series.  And I love hearing Clay's voice. He is a very simple man. He loves his wife. He lives to protect her, his family, and his pack. That's it.  Here, he doesn't disappoint.

"Off Duty Angel" is an Eve short. It's very reminiscent of Angelic, in my opinion. We see Eve kind of stuck in the circumstances of her afterlife.  Kind of bored. Still thumbing her nose at authority and playing by her own rules. Right now, Kris is in the middle of a big case and she has nothing to do with her downtime. So Kris sends her on a mission to play P.I. for him. The story is mostly action oriented and gives us very little time with Eve and Kris. I think I would have enjoyed an adventure that did more to incorporate them both, but I'm glad Eve got one last hurrah.

This novella also offers an extended peek inside the series finale book, 13.  The first seven chapters are here, if you want to get a head start on your reading. 13 releases July 24.

I'm sad the series is ending, so I am happy to take every last story Armstrong has to offer.  Just be aware that if you've already read "Stalked" and you are planning to buy 13, the only exclusive content you'll find here is Eve's 25 page short story.


*ARC Provided by Dutton via NetGalley


Click to purchase: Amazon
The Hunter and the Hunted
by Kelly Armstrong
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Publisher: Dutton


Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 7:52:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

It has 7 chapters from Thirteen!? Awesome!

 
At Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 8:05:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

It does!

 
At Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 9:14:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

OH great!!! I love, love this series, got to add this to my TBR right away. Thanks for reviewing!

 
At Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 11:46:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Me too. I am so sad that it's ending.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home