Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Review: Archangel's Blade

I know I may be in the minority, but I never wanted a Dmitri book. I didn't like him. He's basically an arrogant dick, who likes to hurt women in bed. Or so I thought. This book managed to make me look at him in an entirely new light. It made me ache for his sorrows and yearn for his happiness. Oh yeah... and it was really hot too.

As the story begins, a Guild Hunter named Honor is assigned to work with Dmitri on an unusual vampire killing. She doesn't want to do it; she's is still recovering from the horrific violence and torture she endured while captive to a group of rogue vamps. But she braves forward. There is a connection between the two almost right away. And I was afraid at first, that her trauma would be pushed away too easily. I should have had more faith. Honor's wounds run deep, defining her actions as she does her job and as she deals with her attraction to Dmitri.

In the meantime, we learn more and more about the events that made Dmitri into the man he is. The details are uncovered slowly and have a greater impact as a result. Even more importantly, we see what the events did to him emotionally. We see his pain and feel his anguish over his forced Making (into a vampire) and the cruel destruction of his family.

The book is dark in many ways. But it's also about the redemption of two tattered souls. It's about hope and love and second chances. It has sexy times, but Singh does it in such a way that I was ready for it by the time Honor was ready for it. She doesn't capriciously make Honor or Dmitri behave in ways more convenient to a romance. They grow believably, together.

There was a great action plot going on with a rogue angel making baby vamps --as well as the thread where Dmitri and Honor search for the captors who tortured her those months ago. But the real heart of the book is the love story. It was a great journey with a truly satisfying ending. And it seamlessly incorporates the characters and continuing storylines from the previous books. I couldn't have asked for more.  5 stars.

Click to purchase: Amazon

Archangel's Blade
by Nalini Singh
Release Date: September 6, 2011
Publisher: Berkley

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 10:16:00 AM CST , Blogger Lesley said...

Great review, it's my fav of the series so I was dying to know what you thought of it!

 
At Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 10:47:00 AM CST , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

I think the reason that I haven't read this yet is that I feel like you did, I was not so thrilled w/ a Dmitri book, but I guess that I will have to bump it up the reading list. Thanks for the review, now I can't wait to read it! Book Savvy Babe

 
At Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 2:21:00 PM CST , Blogger Samantha said...

I wasn't very thrilled to hear that Dmitri got his own book either. I was much more interested in reading a story about any of the other seven. (Extremely excited for Jason's book that's coming out this year!) So its good to hear that you enjoyed this one. I had been avoiding reading this, but now I think I'll pick it up soon.

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 10:48:00 PM CST , Blogger AP said...

Did you see Jasons book is next? That I can't wait for as well as a Janvier and Ashwini paring. I think this series is just going to get better. =)

I'd agree with this review as well. SO many times when authors have battered woman its miraculous how fast they get over their trauma. And not at all believable. I believed Honor, besides she sliced Dmitri a few times which gets her a thumbs up in my book.

-Amanda P
Paranormal Romance
Books, Shopping & Rock N' Roll

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 10:49:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I did! I'm really looking forward to it!

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 10:49:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thank you!

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 10:51:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I can't wait to learn more about Jason...

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home