Saturday, July 21, 2012

Review: Blood Moon

Reviewed by Jen
 
I have to be honest with you. I wanted this book to be something different. I wanted it to be a romance. It wasn't. There was sex. There were relationships... of a fashion. But there wasn't a drop of romance to be had.

This is book two in the Mythic series and as the story began, I was still smarting from the ending of the last book. If you haven't read Mythic, before you start this book, you need to know that Gianna is a rare human-vampire hybrid. She hated the vampire Mattias because she thought he killed her parents. She fell in love with another vampire, Nicolas. They were going to be together until she found out Mattias actually saved her parents and has protected them for years. Then Mattias gave her an ultimatum: be with him or he kills Nicolas. So out of gratitude for her parents and out of concern for her lover, she agrees to become Mattias' woman.

Obviously, as this book started, I was still firmly in the Nicolas camp. And Gianna does still love him, but she's attracted to Mattias like a moth to a flame. A nymphomaniac moth. It was very hard to accept her relationship with this man who practically forced her into it. But moving on... the story is actually about a THIRD guy. Dante is Mattias' second in command. He, too, is in love with Gianna. He knows he can't beat Mattias for her in a fair fight, so he leaves the coven to go to Greece so he can perform some ritual to embody the power of the Greek pantheon. He plans to rule as a God, with Gianna as his queen.

Mattias catches wind of this and sends Gianna to Greece to try to steal the book Dante needs to perform the ritual. Gianna has to go mighty far to convince Dante of her loyalty, and she actually gets turned on by the sexy times she has with him. If that weren't enough for me to consider her a total ho-bag, then she has more dirty sexy times with a brand new random shifter guy. Or was it a dream? It doesn't freaking matter, because I have lost all respect for her by this point. Why does every man want to sleep with her? Why does she want to get naked with every man? Remember you're supposed to be in love with Nicolas? Where the hell is Nicolas, anyway?

In the meantime, Dante has a human chick in love with him. He treats her like crap, but taking it proves her love, right?

"Remember who it is you serve Allyn. You'll do as I command whether it is to nourish me with your blood or place your tongue between Gianna's legs while I bury my cock in other parts of her body. You won't refuse or you'll be dealt the punishment of death for your defiance. Understood? Because I'd hate to repeat myself, he said.
A single tear trailed over her cheek. "After all this time, you still don't understand, do you? Threaten me all you'd like Dante. Because the truth be told, I love the way you touch me, how your hands feel on my body as you take what you wish. Even now, with such harsh words, I ache so terribly for you to fill me, I could die."

I'm sorry. I could not get on board with any of the pairings in this book. And I couldn't relate to any of the characters. Mythic had a couple I could root for. This one just doesn't. The sex was hot, but I couldn't enjoy it because I didn't understand why any of these people wanted each other... much less had any more tender feelings.

It just didn't work for me.

*Book provided by author for review

Click to purchase: Amazon
Blood Moon
by Jae Lynne Davies
Release Date: June 16, 2012
Publisher: Tease Publishing

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Saturday, July 21, 2012 at 10:49:00 PM CDT , Blogger Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

Thanks for the honest review. I think I would have the same problems with you. I mean, sex is great in a book but if there is no back story, no romance... it doesn't work for me.
Book Sniffers Anonymous

 
At Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 11:04:00 PM CDT , Blogger Pyper541 said...

I have to disagree on this one, I loved this book and can't wait for the next one! I enjoyed the twists and turns that took place in this book as well as the internal struggles the characters faced. Gianna's is sexy, confident, and extremely driven. She sacrifices her own happiness to try to save the people she cares about.

 
At Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 11:08:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Always great to see another point of view! If you have a review, please feel free to leave a link so everyone can check it out.

 
At Monday, July 23, 2012 at 4:51:00 PM CDT , Blogger Pyper541 said...

Thanks Jen, here is a link to the review I have posted on goodreads.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/353836453

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2012 at 2:47:00 AM CDT , Blogger AP said...

She sounds like a hoe-bag. As I was reading the review I was like what is this chicks "womanly parts" made of beer or something. LOL I'm all for free loving and doing what makes you happy but it doesn't sound like any of these pairs or triangles or whatever they were, were for happiness. I think I'll pass on this one.

-Amanda P
Paranormal Romance

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2012 at 2:22:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. We have to agree to disagree on this one. Romance comes in many forms and I feel like there was plenty in this book. Unconventional sure, but that is what made it appealing.

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2012 at 2:25:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Who do you feel there was a romance between?

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2012 at 3:40:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dante and Allyn-in the end he realized he couldn't imagine life without her.
Mattias and Gianna!
Gianna and Nicholas (if only from a distance...)

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2012 at 3:44:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Hmm. Like you said, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Jae Lynne is a lovely lady and I wish her great success. Like I told Reanna, you are welcome to leave a link to your review if you have one posted somewhere.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home