Friday, July 20, 2012

Review: Wilder's Mate

Reviewed by Jen
 
Moira Rogers had seamlessly blended multiple genres to create a really cool series with the Bloodhounds.  It's got elements of steampunk, paranormal romance, and even the Old West.  And somehow, it works.  Amidst the vampires and shifters, steam-powered devices, horseback riding and really hot sex, I found a story I didn't want to put down.

Satira grew up the sort-of adopted daughter of a Bloodhound.  Once he was gone, she became an apprentice to an inventor named Nathaniel... and he became her family.  Now someone has kidnapped him and all that matters to Satira is getting him back.  When the Guild sends Wilder to help search for him, she refuses to remain on the sidelines and offers her help on the hunt.

Wilder is no ordinary man. He is a Bloodhound, and if you're wondering what that means, suffice it to say that he is an enhanced human. (Getting into more specifics would only spoil it for you as it all plays out.)   There is an attraction between him and Satira right away.  The story follows the two of them as they work together to rescue Nathaniel and eventually give into their desire to be together.

I really enjoyed this book. You'd think with so many different genres mishmashed together, it could overwhelm the story, but it doesn't. The world-building unfolds over the course of the book, but I didn't ever feel lost in the process. I was very much in the moment with Wilder and Satira.  There were times the heroine felt a little desperate, which made me cringe a bit. But thankfully, her attraction was not one sided.

The sexual tension was great and the sex was even better. It was hot and raw and Wilder was deliciously Alpha in the sack. He has all this barely leashed power and still a sweet vulnerability which makes him downright irresistible.

When she isn't emotionally needy, Satira is a pretty good heroine.  Her history with Bloodhounds allows her to understand Wilder in a way that not every woman could. She is loyal, determined and capable, despite the fact that society devalues her because she is woman.  And when all is said and done, she really delivers.

In the course of the story, we meet some intriguing secondary characters who will go on star in their own books in the series. But make no mistake, this is Wilder's book. He stole the show and blew me away.

Rating: B+

*Book provided by author for review

Click to purchase: Amazon
Wilder's Mate
by Moira Rogers
Release Date: March 8, 2011
Publisher: Samhain

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, July 20, 2012 at 9:33:00 AM CDT , Blogger Good Choice Reading said...

"The sexual tension was great and the sex was even better. It was hot and raw and Wilder was deliciously Alpha in the sack. He has all this barely leashed power and still a sweet vulnerability which makes him downright irresistible."

Hahahh I died laughing here.

Love the review! I really need to start reading my romance again. I've been reading so much YA I can't even remember the last time I picked up a romance. Cannot wait for AAD! lol

 
At Friday, July 20, 2012 at 9:35:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I want my own Wilder! (Just don't tell my husband.)

 
At Friday, July 20, 2012 at 11:07:00 AM CDT , Blogger Paige Cuccaro said...

Wow, I like the sound of this. I haven't heard of this series. Sounds right up my alley though! Nice review. Thanks for posting it!!

 
At Friday, July 20, 2012 at 11:09:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thank you. It's hot!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home