Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Review: College Boys

Reviewed by Jen
 
Chris is a sweet, straight, southern boy, attending a small liberal college.  His move to a new dorm room puts him right next door to Peter, a friendly gay man who is out and proud.  The wall between their small rooms is paper thin, and the two become fast friends, talking though plaster as if it's not even there.

Peter has a huge crush on Chris, and he never dreams the attraction may be returned.  But that's exactly what begins to happen.  Chris slowly accepts his attraction and curiosity about Peter and reaches out to see if they can have a future together.

First of all, I have to say that I read this novella in one sitting, because I didn't want to put it down.  I really enjoyed the writing style and the story itself. This isn't just a romance, but also a journey of self-discovery for Chris.  He's a good guy with aw'shucks charm. But Peter stole the show for me.  Daisy Harris does such a great job taking us through his emotions as he struggles with his growing feelings for Chris and his looming fear of rejection.  And then there's the sex... which I thought was very well done.  From their tentative early forays together to the abandon they reach later in the story, it was hot --and sweet-- and it definitely put me in the moment.

My only quibbles were small ones.  The first is the relative ease in which Chris accepts this major change in his life.  From what I could tell, this is a guy who has never questioned his sexuality, and he's going from denial to begging for a shag at lightning speed.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad he can figure all this out without hurting Peter in the process, but I would have expected a little more reticence or freaking out than he did.  (*small spoiler*) I also could have done without the talk of marriage at the end.  These guys are still new --and young.  A HFN ending would have left me warm & fuzzy and satisfied, without the need for that extra step.

But these things aside, I really did like it.  And if Daisy Harris decides to write another story about side characters Nathaniel and Greg, I would totally read it.  4 stars.

*ARC provided by author for review

Click to purchase: Amazon
College Boys
by Daisy Harris
Release Date: April 9, 2012
Publisher: Siren

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 8:48:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I began reading this last Friday & I had plans with friends that evening. I had to put the Kindle down. On my drive home all I could think about was getting to the Kindle. I stayed up till 2 am reading, which is unheard of for me. Great review BTW!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home