Friday, April 6, 2012

Review: Shaman, Healer, Heretic

Books like these are the reason I am willing to try work from self-published authors.  I have to admit, I was a wary of the title and the cover, but I am so glad that didn't stop me from reading this book.  It's fresh. The pacing is good. The plot is unpredictable without being unstable.  And it has a great cast of characters which only pulled me in more, the further I read.

Livvie is a shaman.  Armed with a special gift that allows her to send her spirit to another plane, she makes her living helping people whose spirits are trapped.  Some clients are in a coma, some have serious physical illness, and others have psychological issues she can help them overcome.

As the book begins, things are a bit "off" on that other plane.  At first, the changes are small. But when an ancient Hopi god --a kachina-- manifests himself in Livvie's bedroom, things begin to snowball.  There is a powerful, destructive entity wreaking havoc on the other side.  Even as skilled as she is, Livvie can't fight it alone. So she reaches out to others of her kind, hoping together, they can defeat the beast.

There were a lot of things I liked about the story. One was the plot. It was never boring; it never lagged.  And while the progression felt natural, it never felt formulaic.  The characters were three dimensional and nuanced.  I liked Livvie, though I would have liked to know a little more of her backstory.  Her shaman-middleman, SK, totally stole the show, though.  I loved how his personality and his feelings were revealed over time.  And by the end of the book, he was easily my favorite character.

There's not really much in the way of romance, but there are romantic interests.  There are definitely feelings going on (but I won't spoil the particulars.)  The world-building is very cool.  And it's obvious that the book was professionally edited.

My only (minor) complaints: I wish we knew more about why Livvie left her medical career to become a shaman.  We get bits and pieces of her history but not really enough to paint a complete picture.  Maybe the author is saving that for later books.  --I also didn't love the part of the storyline involving the potential love interest Joel and how that turned out.

But overall, I really enjoyed the book. And I'm looking forward to starting the next installment.  4 1/2 stars.

*Book provided by author for review

Click to purchase: Amazon
Shaman, Healer, Heretic
by M Terry Green
Release Date: January 22, 2011

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At Friday, April 6, 2012 at 10:08:00 AM CDT , Blogger Kt Clapsadl said...

Lmao I loved your method of grabbing our attention ;)

 
At Friday, April 6, 2012 at 10:51:00 AM CDT , Blogger Veronica Scott said...

Sounds like an intriguing book, one to add to the TBR pile!

 
At Friday, April 6, 2012 at 10:57:00 AM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

Posting that picture and post title was definitely the best way to grab my attention. Because like you said the book title and cover would not have made me look twice. Now that I have though, I have to say I am intrigued by your review.

 
At Friday, April 6, 2012 at 11:36:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I know what would make me click on a post....

 
At Friday, April 6, 2012 at 11:36:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Let me know if you give it a try. :)

 
At Friday, April 6, 2012 at 11:37:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yay! I hope it inspires a few people to give it a try.

 
At Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 5:03:00 AM CDT , Blogger Miss Vain's Paranormal Fantasy said...

Okay Jen! I'm sold!!! But I'll be honest, I was coming to wish you happy Easter on your blog, but then the shallow side of me got sidetracked with a picture of David will he do me Beckham....and then I reluctantly pulled my eyes away to read your review....great review, and this book sounds like something I would enjoy!!;)

Happy Easter!! <3

 
At Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 7:59:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Let me know if you give it a try!! (And Happy Easter to you too.)

 
At Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 1:57:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Haha! clever girl! Sounds great, I'll make a point to read this one, it doesn't bother me that it's not heavy in the romance department, some of my fav. books aren't.
I just came from the give away page, great interview BTW.

 
At Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 2:07:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I know what you ladies like! Be sure to enter the giveaway!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home