Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: A Sliver of Shadow

Reviewed by Jen
 
OK. I have to start out by telling you that this book ends on a massive, hairy cliffhanger. I want to get this out of the way because it's the only thing that did not absolutely rock about this story. I loved it from beginning to... well, ALMOST the very end.

The action picks up about six months after the events of the last book. Brystion is still gone. Abby is working to become stronger in the Dreaming. And Moira has left again. This time, she is in Faery, taking care of her sick mother, the Fae Queen. Abby is watching over the baby and maintaining her job as the Touchstone of the Protectorate.

All that is plenty to deal with --but things get more complicated when a Fae woman shows up, claiming to be Moira's replacement. And then it really hits the fan when the Queen shuts down the paths between human and Faery realms, leaving many Fae trapped on the wrong side of the doors. Abby joins forces with Moira's brother Talivar and those closest to her --to travel to Faery, hoping to convince the Queen to re-open the paths.

There is so much going on, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I love the world-building in these books, which are heavily steeped in the Fae. But even more than that, I love the rich and fleshed out characters at the heart of the story. Allison Pang does such a fantastic job, I feel like I know them. Abby: the woman trying to learn her place in the world and striving to do the right thing by everyone, while struggling to know her own heart. Talivar: the crippled prince with vulnerability and a nobility that extends far beyond his royalty. Brystion... OK, I still don't know what the deal is with Brystion, but he does come back. And the spark is still there.

Speaking of which, we've got a love triangle all of a sudden. I understand why Abby is torn (though if my vote counts, it goes to Talivar.) There is great chemistry with both men, though their relationships are very, very different. I still feel like the reason Brystion left at the end of the last book was lame; and it's made worse that he seems to change his tune for no tangible reason at all. Whereas, Talivar is broken. But his role in Abby's life --and their blooming relationship-- are healing him. He is a good man and he is good to her.

There's satisfying sex, family drama, action, danger, legend, blossoming love and sacrifice on a massive scale. And somehow, during it all, it still manages to make me laugh. Frankly, who doesn't love a cantankerous, horny, miniature unicorn? There's so much more that I want to say, but I already feel like I am rambling. I'll leave you with this: I have no idea what is going to happen next, but I can't wait to find out. Almost 5 stars.

*ARC Provided by Pocket Books

Click to purchase: Amazon
A Sliver of Shadow
by Allison Pang
Release Date: February 28, 2012
Publisher: Pocket Books

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Friday, March 30, 2012 at 9:12:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jamie said...

Wi-hoo for Team Talivar ;). Great review! I liked this one much better than the first book. Abby's come a long way. This cliff hanger was rough!

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 at 9:15:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Me too! I liked the first one but was a little unsure. This one, I loved. --Very excited for the next one (but a little scared too.)

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 at 8:43:00 PM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

You seem to always find books I have never heard of. I am going to have to look into them.

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 at 8:45:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

This is a really, really good one. But you should definitely read A Brush of Darkness first.

 
At Friday, April 13, 2012 at 4:52:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Ελλάδα said...

Creative, yes, but unfortunately, it's a little confusing too.
One of the real strengths of the Abby Sinclair series is the fresh and innovative mythology and worldbuilding. The supernatural species may be familiar (fae, angels, unicorns etc.), but the rules for this world are anything but. Creative, yes, but unfortunately, it's a little confusing too.

 
At Friday, April 13, 2012 at 8:40:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I was confused at times during A Brush of Darkness but I felt comfortable with the world-building by the time I got to this one.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home