Monday, December 5, 2011

Review: Warrior's Cross

Reviewed by Jen
 
I am such a fan of Madeleine Urban and Abigail Roux. They write m/m loving like nobody's business. This book's got heart; it's got action; it's got sex; and it's got a mysterious tortured hero in menacing package. (*purrs*)

For months now, Julian has been coming to the restaurant where Cameron is a waiter. Every Tuesday he is there, but beyond a few words, he has never spoken to him. Until now. Julian asks Cam to take a walk with him one night. And all of a sudden, Cam no longer has to admire him from afar. They fall into bed, kicking off a  tumultuous relationship. Julian is a killer, though the particulars of it are unclear... and he wants to shield Cam from that part of his life. That means secrets, and occasionally, lies.

The book was very, very strong in the first half, as the two men fall in love. But it stuttered a little in the second half. Cameron is painted as needy and insecure, when he asks questions and has doubts that are completely reasonable. While I love Julian and all his sexy angst, he really puts Cam through the wringer. And it made me angry on Cam's behalf. (Plus, we needed a least one of those smokin-hot love scenes in the latter part of the book!)

It's not an easy road. I didn't get the answers to all of my questions. (Especially in the particulars surrounding Julian's job and who Blake really is.) There's also a time-jump at the end that I didn't love. But it was a good book. Not quite on par with the Ty & Zane, but I am excited for all the characters to come together in the next Cut & Run book. 4 stars.

Click to purchase: Amazon or The Book Depository
Warrior's Cross
by Madeleine Urban and Abigail Roux
Release Date: August 31, 2009
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Monday, December 5, 2011 at 12:15:00 PM CST , Blogger Tracy said...

Hey, Jen!
Lovely review, as always. I enjoyed Warrior's Cross very much when I read it.

Any thoughts on Urban's sudden retirement from writing and Roux's determination to handle Ty & Zane (my favorite M/M couple of all time) on her own?

 
At Monday, December 5, 2011 at 12:34:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I was so upset when I heard that Urban was no longer planning to write. I've never read anything from Roux as a solo-project. But I am glad she plans to go forward with the series. I love the Cut & Run books so much!

Only time will tell whether the quality or tone will change. (I've got my fingers crossed that the next installment will be better than ever.)

 
At Monday, December 5, 2011 at 2:04:00 PM CST , Blogger Tracy said...

I've read a Roux solo book. It was one of her earlier stories, so it's hard to compare, but I enjoyed it. Not even close to the same level as the Ty & Zane books, but entertaining.

Whether quality or tone changes, at least we'll get a chance to try it and see. If she chose not to continue without Urban writing Zane (as she certainly could have), the abrupt end would've been quite painful.

Still feels like an end to an era, though. I've been huge fans of Ty & Zane...AND Urban and Roux...for two years now.

 
At Monday, December 5, 2011 at 2:50:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I completely agree! Especially with the ending we got in the last book!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home