Friday, October 14, 2011

Favorites: Paranormal Romance

Paranormal Romance is my drug of choice, people. It's not the only thing I read. I love Urban Fantasy, Historicals, a little Erotica... But at the end of the day, when my brain needs a little comfort food, PNRs are where I turn. They are the beloved french fries of my book-diet. Here's a look at my favorites in the genre.


by Kresley Cole

This series has it all. It's funny. It's sassy. It is so damn sexy, it rocks my world. The series features a wide array of supernatural characters that mix, match, and interact over the course of several installments. For me, the band of feisty Valkyrie makes up the heart of the books. Powerful, greedy, strong, beautiful women who are more than a match for any man willing to try and win their hearts. But there are also the sexy Lykae, who have a brogue to die for... hot, horned demons (see how I resisted the urge to call them "horny?")... vampires, witches and more. My favorite in the series so far has been Demon From the Dark, but if you haven't read this series, start at the beginning.   Go read these books.  Right now.

Click to purchase: A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, Book 1)


by JR Ward

Dark. Gritty. Urban.  These books are not light reading.  But the series boasts my favorite tortured hero of all time and my favorite PNR book, Lover Awakened.  There is violence; there is scorching hot sex; there are vampires; and there are very stupid character names.  But the early books in the series are simply unparalleled. Not every installment is as strong as the others, but there are so many amazing characters and secondary plots, that there is something worthwhile in every one of these books.  The basic premise surrounds a band of warrior vampires who defend their people from the soulless villains who wish to destroy them. And they fall in love... and have superhot sex. Start with Dark Lover.  Don't let the glossary intimidate you.  And before you know it, you'll be thinking of your husband as a "male of worth" and counting the minutes until the Qhay novella... just like the rest of us.  

Click to purchase: Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1)



by Sherrilyn Kenyon

I read through these books like a starving man at Thanksgiving dinner.  Sherrilyn Kenyon has concocted a strange blend of vampire legend and Greek mythology that just somehow works.  The Dark Hunters were all human once. But each was done a terrible wrong; their souls called out for vengeance --and they got it, in exchange for an immortal lifetime in service to the goddess Artemis. They protect humanity from a breed of life-sucking vampires.  And they fall in love. And have superhot sex.  For me, the series has lost its footing a little in the wake of the epic Acheron. But the early books are not to be missed.  In addition to Gods and vampires, there are also shapeshifters of several varieties.  Plus, it's set largely in New Orleans, with great landmark mentions and even a female lead from the suburb where I grew up. (Shout out to Kenner, everybody!)  Be sure to check out Kenyon's website. It puts all others to shame.

Click to purchase: Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, Book 1)


by Jeaniene Frost

Unlike the first three series I talked about, the Night Huntress books do not feature a new couple in every installment.  All of these book center around half-vampire Cat and her sexy vampire partner Bones.   And believe me, they are worth reading for the cocky allure of Bones, if nothing else.  There's a great band of secondary characters, some of which have scored their own spinoff books.  The series is easy reading... sexy, funny and it has a lot of heart.

Click to purchase: Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 1)


by Gena Showalter

I've heard some people say this series is kind of a derivative of the BDB books.  A bunch of supernaturally enhanced warrior guys, living together, fighting the good fight. Plus (say it with me) they fall in love and have super-hot sex.  But really, the similarities end there. The tone of these books is totally different.  While I wouldn't call it "light," there are some funny moments. The characters are irreverent and quirky.  And the heroines are each unique and worthy.  These warriors used be guards of Mt Olympus, until they opened Panadora's box, unleashing demons on humanity. Now each Lord houses a demon inside of him... which provides special gifts and drawbacks.

Click to purchase: The Darkest Night (LotU, Book 1)

So which PNRs are YOUR favorites? Everyone tells me that I have to read Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling books and I swear they are on my TBR pile. Any other suggestions?

 

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At Friday, October 14, 2011 at 12:54:00 PM CDT , Blogger Julie said...

I have never been able to get into the Immortals After Dark series, but all of your other picks are on my list too. I would also add the Demonica series. Demon yumminess!

 
At Friday, October 14, 2011 at 12:55:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

BDB - JR Ward
Night Huntress - Jeaniene Frost
Fever - Karen Marie Moning
Kate Daniels - Ilonda Andrews
Deadtown - Nancy Holzner
Demonica - Larissa Ione
Midnight Breed - Lara Adrian

I know I'm forgetting one or two.Some of these are UF but they still have some romance in them.

 
At Friday, October 14, 2011 at 12:57:00 PM CDT , Blogger Poison Rose said...

I haven't erad many in these series either, but to me the Dark Hunter series had really been an addiction to me. I started with Retribution, and then went back and started in on the others and I was instantly hooked on them, and their female heroine counterparts.

 
At Friday, October 14, 2011 at 1:01:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Oh yes! I really enjoyed the Demonica books too. Especially Ecstasy Unveiled. I love Lore!

 
At Friday, October 14, 2011 at 1:07:00 PM CDT , Blogger Brie said...

I’ve got to admit that I’m not the biggest PNR fan, but my two favorite series EVER are, in fact, PNRs… First is Nalini Singh’s Psy/Changeling series because who doesn’t love a hot alpha shifter, right? And then is Meljean Brook’s Guardian series, I keep talking about and pimping this author but she’s fantastic! I honestly don’t know how she does it but her books keep getting better and better, and these stories are so full of surprise endings, and twists and turns, it’s insane!

Both series have nothing in common story-wise, but they are tightly plotted, full of great characters and hot, hot sex. I mean, in one of Brook’s books there’s a scene involving a voyeur, an iron statue, fire and some solo action, I’ll just keep it at that!

 
At Friday, October 14, 2011 at 1:40:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thumbs up to all of these! Black Dagger is my number 1.

I've read the first 5 books in the Psy-Changeling series and I'm really loving it. Like all series, there are ones you'll like more than others.

 
At Friday, October 14, 2011 at 2:32:00 PM CDT , Blogger Michelle Greathouse said...

Jen,

I agree with your list 100%!

Michelle

 
At Friday, October 14, 2011 at 11:28:00 PM CDT , Blogger Lover Of Romance said...

I also love paranormal romance...although I think for me Historical Romance is my comfort food but there are times when I just need to pick up a paranormal romance!!! There are definitely some really amazing books out there!

 
At Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 5:08:00 AM CDT , Blogger Lauren B said...

Love the Dark Hunters.
I also recommend the Midnight Breed by Lara Adrian and Darkness Chosen series by Christina Dodd.

 
At Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 9:14:00 AM CDT , Blogger CdnMrs said...

Great list! You need to check out Nicole Peeler's Jane True series if for no other reason than it will make you laugh your butt off.

 
At Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 9:36:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I am actually planning on reading the Jane True books this month!

 
At Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 6:48:00 PM CDT , Blogger Lesley said...

I love your list, they are all my favs too. You need to read Nalini Singh's Psy/changeling series it is A-MAZING. I also love Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts series and G.A Aiken's Dragon Kin series which is both smutty and hilarious!

 
At Tuesday, October 25, 2011 at 5:17:00 PM CDT , Blogger AP said...

Again I have to say we love the same books for the most part. PNR is my comfort food as well. I just posted my top 10 list what was it yesterday.

http://www.paranormalromancenovel.com/2011/10/my-top-10-list.html

I havent read the dark hunters yet but I swear its on my TBR.

And I swear you are the only other person I have every heard say that Lore is among your favorite men besides me. I never have to fight anyone over him! LOL

 
At Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at 4:02:00 PM CDT , Blogger Drama Mad said...

Love your list. But my favourite top of the list is of the Carpathians by Christine Feehan. You should check that out..

 
At Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at 4:14:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I have read them all! (Her Ghost Hunter books too.) I think my favorites are the Daratrazanoffs! But I haven't loved the de la Cruz brothers. (One day we'll get that damn Skyler and Dimitri book.)

 
At Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 7:11:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian is very good. Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling books I really loved as well. Also give Alexandra Ivy a try.

 
At Friday, February 22, 2013 at 2:02:00 PM CST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My go to books are IAD, BDB, NIght Huntress & Lords of the Underworld (haven't read Dark Hunters, but sounds like I should). While waiting for the next installments in each of these series, I've found a few new ones I'm anxiously awaiting as well.
Dianne Duvall's Immortal Guardians series has drawn me in (3books in series). As well as Elisabeth Naughton's Eternal Guardians series featuring the Argonauts. Another recent favorite is the Highlander series by KMM. Not sure if you'd classify this a PNR, but it does involve time travel and the fey. Any other suggestions besides the ones already posted?

 
At Friday, February 22, 2013 at 3:27:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yes! I have recently read the Psy-Changeling books by Nalini Singh and I loved them. I need to update the page to include them.

By the way, I also enjoyed KMM's Highlander books. Drustan was my favorite!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home