Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Review: Hard Bitten


Reviewed by Jen
 
I knew before I started this book that Something Big happens. I avoid spoilers like the plague and I didn't even read this series when this book came out. But despite that, there was so much chatter that you'd have to live under a rock to have missed the outcry. And even knowing all that, I was still utterly and completely decimated by this book.

It all starts out innocently enough. The mayor is putting the screws to Merit and Ethan to put an end to the blood raves in the city. And the same time, Darius, a bigwig from the governing vampire council, comes to town to check out the Chicago vamps. Merit believes Celina has a hand in it all. But Darius essentially forbids any further investigation of her.

In the meantime, Ethan is working to redeem himself for his behavior in the last book. He now accepts how he feels about Merit and is trying desperately to win her back. It's an intricate dance between them and their eventually acquiescence feels inevitable.

I'm not going to spoil the details of what happens, in the off chance you are one of the five people in the world who doesn't know how the book ends. Suffice it to say, (*spoilers*) it left me feeling much like I did at the end of For a Few Demons More. I am emotionally empty. Heartbroken. Betrayed. It was an amazing book, but I don't know how to forgive Chloe Neill.  And I don't know how to rate this. How do you rate a book that rips your heart out and stomps it on the floor?

Click to purchase: Amazon or The Book Depository
Hard Bitten
by Chloe Neill
Release Date: May 3, 2011
Publisher: NAL

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 12, 2011 at 10:14:00 AM CDT , Blogger Tracy said...

Hey, Jen.
I've been reading your reviews of these books, patiently waiting for this one. I've been a fan of the series from the beginning and I was pleasantly surprised that you had started them because it's a series I've loved...and then there was Hard Bitten.

Yeah.

Haven't started Drink Deep yet. I'm staying far away from reviews of it because I loathe spoilers, too, still, I'm very interested to see what comes next...for a lot of reasons.

Nice review, Jen.

 
At Wednesday, October 12, 2011 at 7:57:00 PM CDT , Blogger Lexi said...

I am offically one of the 5 people that has not read this series, I think I have to wait until it is finished and then pick it up so my heart will survive! Great review...cant wait to start this series!

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2011 at 7:36:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Erika @ Badass said...

I don't think I ever will forgive what happened, and to be honest, I don't know that I want to continue reading the series at all. I'm still bitter about it... You can see the rest of my thoughts in my review of Hard Bitten

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2011 at 8:52:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I understand. I felt the same way, Erika. But I've read Drink Deep and I'm glad I did. I think you should give it a try.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home