Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Mark of the Sylph


Reviewed by Jen
 
This second installment of the Demons of Infernum series picks up a few months after Blood of the Demon left off.  Brynn and Keegan are happily married and expecting a baby. But everyone is on pins and needles, waiting for Leviathos to come after the Book of the Dead.  Taeg has an idea to stop the threat. If he can get his hands on Excalibur, they can destroy the book and eliminate the danger to Brynn.

During his research, he stumbles across Maya. She can see through glamours, which means she knows him for the demon he is. Maya hates demons... since a pair of them murdered her parents when she was a child.  Taeg ends up kidnapping her, hoping that once he explains his cause, she'll see reason.  And slowly, she begins to realize that all demons are not evil. In fact, one in particular is downright sexy.

I liked the book overall.  Just like with the last installment, the brothers are really the heart of the series.  They are interesting; they're sexy; and they have a lot of heart.  The world-building is solid and easy to understand. And the sexual tension (not to mention the actual sex) between Maya and Taeg is hot, hot, hot. 

But I do have some complaints.  One: it sure is easy for a girl to have an orgasm.  At one point, Maya gets off when Taeg turns into a breeze.  Yes, she got off on the wind.  (Lucky girl.)  And don't even get me started when they did the backdoor tango with no warm-up or lube of any kind.  Um... ouch.

My other issue: predictability. I could see where things were going a mile away.  I had the same complaint with the last book.  I don't like it when I can figure out how everything will play out 1/3 of the way through the story.  No matter how fun the ride is, I need some surprises.  There weren't many of those to be had.

Those issues notwithstanding, I have no doubt I'll read book 3.  The series is sexy and fun --and it has a lot of potential.  I hope Ronin's story comes next.  Almost 4 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Click to purchase: Amazon or The Book Depository
Mark of the Sylph
by Rosalie Lario
Release Date: September 6, 2011
Publisher: Entangled Publishing 

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Friday, September 2, 2011 at 4:59:00 PM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

haha, the breeze and the no lube thing really was funky. I mean really they just started having regular sex, why jump the gun? Also I am curious how Maya and Taeg will do with the fact Maya will age and he won't.

I still liked the book and can not wait to read the next one.

Great Review!

 
At Saturday, September 3, 2011 at 9:04:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Great review. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one bothered by lube, or lack of in those situations. I just read a few m/m romances and that was always skipped or random items of opportunity was used (butter) Thanks for sharing. I've seen several reviews of this book and I still can't decide if this is a series that I would be interested in.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home