Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Review: One Grave at a Time


Reviewed by Jen
 
I'll be honest.  I went into this book fearing the worst.  The last installment in this series left me wanting and I was afraid the best days of Cat & Bones were behind us.  This book didn't quite measure up to the glory of the early books, but it was better than the last one.

It picks up shortly after where the events of This Side of the Grave left off.  Cat is still carrying the residual effects of Marie Laveau's blood magic.  And her uncle Don has appeared to her as a ghost.  He can't move on to the hereafter, but no one knows why. 

It doesn't take long for the book's big conflict to be revealed.  Elizabeth, a ghostly friend of Fabian's, comes to Cat asking for help to destroy an evil spirit. His name is Kramer and he tortured and killed Elizabeth --as well as other women who he once branded as witches.  It seems Kramer has developed a lot of power in the hundreds of years since his death.  He uses that strength to adopt a mortal body every Halloween to continue his attacks on innocent women.  Of course, Cat can't turn down Elizabeth's plea.  And the rest of the story follows Cat and Bones as they work to bring Kramer down.

One of the ways the last book fell short was the lack of action, but that's not the case here.  The story moves at a fast pace and there is some tension generated by the threat from the Kramer.  The unbridled passion, discovery, and angst once featured in the Cat and Bones relationship are gone.  In their place is now a deep and abiding love between them...  Love, trust and an unbreakable faith.   Their relationship is different now. And by necessity, I guess, it takes a backseat to the main story arc.  It's hard to make married love sexy. 

Many of the series' great supporting cast of characters are here: Charles and Denise are featured heavily... We also have Ian, Justina, Tate and Don.  And speaking of Don: there is a side story featuring him and a dastardly new character, Madigan, who is taking over Cat's old unit.  It seemed like Frost was going somewhere with this, but it never really came together.  Maybe it will be resolved in the next book.  A little more than 4 stars.

P.S.  I'm dying for that Vlad book.

One Grave at a Time
by Jeaniene Frost
Release Date: August 30, 2011 
Publisher: Avon

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 9:20:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

THis was not my favorite Cat and Bones book, I enjoyed it, but I missed the sex appeal and the sizzle of the Cat and Bones attraction.... Book Savvy Babe

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 9:31:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I do too, but I kind of feel like that ship has sailed. I don't see how Frost can get back the fire and passion of new love for a couple that's been together as long as they have.

I think that's why I've been looking forward to Vlad's book more than new Cat & Bones installments. It's the world that I love with the smexy of a new relationship.

I'm just not fired up about books featuring married couples. I have married love at home.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 10:11:00 AM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

I was sad at the lack of sex in this book. But you are right I don't know how she can get that back. I wish she would do a book with Ian. I love him! He is my favorite character.

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 4:34:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Great review, I can not wait to read this book, my copy still hasn't arrived. It sounds like it is an improvement from the last book.

Suzanne @ Under the Covers

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 7:57:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tyraa said...

I didn't like the last book as much as I thought I would. It lacked the sexual tension and all that from the first books few ;( Like you, I can't wait for Vlad's book!

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 7:58:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tyraa said...

OHOHOHOH and I love the new blog design - freakin' HOT!

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 8:13:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Amber: I have mixed feelings on Ian. Sometimes I find him sexy, sometimes a little too over the top.

Suzanne: Let me know what you think when it comes it.

Tyraa: Thank you! I won a redesign from Parajunkee!

 
At Thursday, September 1, 2011 at 12:28:00 AM CDT , Blogger Mariya said...

I loved this book. I am glad that Vlad's book is next and can't wait for it and I am also excited for what is in store for Cat and Bones in their next book!

I wasn't too disappointed in the lack of sex though like some b/c I was so into the book that I didn't even notice. Much better than the last book =DDD

 
At Sunday, April 14, 2013 at 3:36:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, this weekend is good for me, because this moment i
am reading this wonderful informative article here at my house.



My web blog :: www.supahtalent.com

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home