Friday, September 16, 2011

Review: The Darkest Surrender

Reviewed by Jen
 
I didn't care much for Strider early on in this series.  It wasn't until The Darkest Secret that I ever really gave him much thought at all.  Here, he charms me utterly with his over-inflated ego and inner dialogue.  And while that may not sound all that attractive, I found him more endearing that I ever expected that I could.

As the story begins, Strider is working hard to resist his attraction to Kaia.  At the end of the last book, she revealed that he is her consort, but he rejected her outright.  After all, he thought he had feelings for Haidee and on top of that, Kaia once slept with Paris.  What if Strider couldn't measure up to the Lord of Promiscuity?  It would cause him immeasurable pain.  But Kaia refuses to give up, and she forces herself back into his orbit.

In the meantime, Kaia and her sisters are summoned to participate in the Harpy Games.  The last time they took part was over a thousand years ago, when Kaia made a terrible mistake that resulted in the deaths of many of her kind.  Now, it's clear that the Skyhawks are targets; their lives are in danger. So Strider comes along, knowing his blood could help Kaia in the event she is injured.

The story surrounding the Harpy games is really quite good.  The backstory allows you to see vulnerability in Kaia, who is overwhelmingly strong.  We learn alot about the Harpy culture and the bonds Kaia shares with her sisters.  At the same time, a real relationship begins to develop between Kaia and Strider.  It's fun watching them challenge themselves and each other, yet somehow they each manage to put the other person first.  Like in all of the Lord books, the sexual tension is uber-hot and the payoff is sooo satisfying.  Win!

We're also treated to a side story with William and Kane which shines some light on Willy's background and Kane's possible future.   And additional cut scenes feature Paris and his search for Sienna.  Hallelujah -- Paris' story is finally up next. That poor guy really needs a happy ending. He has been miserable forever.  Almost 5 stars.

*ARC Provided by Harlequin

The Darkest Surrender
by Gena Showalter
Release Date: September 27, 2011 
Publisher: HQN Books

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Friday, September 16, 2011 at 9:27:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read this one so I didn't read into your review too much but is it wrong to want to read this one just because it means we're that much closer to getting Paris' book?

 
At Friday, September 16, 2011 at 4:35:00 PM CDT , Blogger Amber Hughes said...

I can't wait to read this book!! This is one of my favorite series :-)

 
At Friday, September 16, 2011 at 9:41:00 PM CDT , Blogger Julie said...

William and Kane. Yay! I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Can't. Wait. Great review!

 
At Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 10:45:00 PM CDT , Blogger Writer, Editor, Dreamer said...

*racks brain* Strider...Strider...Yeah, I'm with you. Haven't really given him much thought. I did read the Darkest Lie (that's the one w/ the lying issues, right?). I've enjoyed the series--the basis for it is unique and intriguing.

Might have to check in with Strider here soon.

~kyla

 
At Monday, September 19, 2011 at 8:24:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

O....M....G....Jen! I want to read this review sooooo bad but I'm not letting myself. I'll try to remember to come back next week after I've read it to compare thoughts. :-D

 
At Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 9:49:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tyraa said...

Ahhh I want this book like now. I'm drawn to Strider 'cos he just so darn cocky. Ha, love it.

 
At Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 7:12:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

Fabulous review Jen and I couldn't agree with you more on all of your points! I wasn't a huge fan of Strider before this book...he actually annoyed me a bit during The Darkest Secret but I fell head over heels for him in this book. I loved how the book was surrounded by the Harpy Games and I loved how Kaia never stopped trying to get Strider to fall for her. They are just perfect together and I'm also extremely excited about Paris' book! :-D

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home