Friday, September 9, 2011

DragonCon After Dark

I can't wrap up my DragonCon coverage without acknowledging this: As crazy as the convention was during the day, it became downright insane at night.  I'm sure the booze had something to do with it.  I, myself, may have partaken in a few drinks -- I've been calling them Buckets O' Rum, though their proper names were Zombie Buckets.

Maybe it's because the few kids that were there during the day were noticably absent after dinner.  Maybe people just drop their inhibitions at night.  Lord knows that if it's possible, people actually got nakeder... or more naked... or as we in the South like to say nekkid.


It was definitely after midnight when I met the guys whose costumes consisted solely of plastic fans.  There weren't many celebrities mingling with the masses, but the few I saw were only out at night. Namely, Tom Felton from Harry Potter and Wil Wheaton from Star Trek: TNG... Let me tell you, I have never seen anyone get so excited about seeing Inspector Gadget.

I took personl enjoyment in all the leather and metal-clad dudes... not that they weren't around during the daytime... I think I just inserted myself in their path more at night.  I guess that says more about me than them.




It was something that any sci-fi or fantasy fan should experience at least once.  The crush of the crowd, the skimpy costumes, and flashes of flesh (not to mention the free-flowing liquor) reminded me a lot of Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras. But instead of shit-faced frat boys and boob-baring co-eds , the revelers were Battlestar Galactica fans and boob-baring zombies.  And at least at Dragon Con, there were clean bathrooms. 






Party-on my geeky friends... I may be getting too old for this.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 3:25:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

The guy with tattoos rocks. I love tattoos! The costumes people wore just cracked me up. Some of them look very good while others not.so.much. But I'm so happy that you had a great time and you got to experience it at least once in your life. :-D

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home