Thursday, September 8, 2011

DragonCon: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Without a doubt, I would consider the DragonCon experience to be a positive one.  It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely something everyone should experience at least once.

Photo Courtesy: insouciant-tumblr
The Good:
Obviously, Joe Manganiello rocked my world, but he wasn't the only uber-hot celebrity on the premises.   I also got a chance to see Misha Collins in the autograph signing area.  Sadly, cameras were not allowed in there and I didn't get a picture.  But let me assure you that the man is even better looking in person.  My one regret is not ponying up the cash for a photo session with him.  I missed the Supernatural panel Saturday due to a conflict.  I do, however, have the memory of his gorgeous face burned into my retinas.

My other big celebrity squee came from the panel with the Buffy cast. I attended their Sunday panel and it featured James Marsters (Spike), Nicholas Brendon (Xander), Eliza Dushku (Faith), Claire Kramer (Glory), Julie Benz (Darla), and Mercedes McNab (Harmony).  Our seats weren't very good. Even though we arrived more than an hour before it started, the line already took up three floors of the Westin hotel.  So yes, my pictures suck.  It was all audience Q & A.  The cast joked about how David Boreanaz was always flashing people and farting on set.  They talked about how scary it was to prepare for "Once More With Feeling" and then how gratifying it was when it paid off.  James talked about how hard it was to film the scene in the bathroom when Spike tried to rape Buffy and how it put him in therapy.  But I've got to tell you, Nick stole the show on the panel. He was self-deferential and funny as hell.  A great hour!

The parade was also fantastic.  The crowd was enormous and the participants were all letting their freak flags fly.  I think my favorite group consisted of the Mortal Kombat characters, but there were representatives of just about every sci-fi or fantasy genre you can imagine.  Plus, I had some great geeky-chicks behind me narrating every group that walked by. "Oh look, there are the Browncoats."  -- "Oh look, there is the giant spaghetti-monster."  Without them, I would have been lost.

The Bad:
I don't have too many complaints.  The lines sucked. Food and drinks were overpriced. The hotel staff and volunteers were on a slight power trip.  Oh --and the seats were too close together at the panels.  There are some pretty big people in this world and I happened to sit next to one such lady at a True Blood panel. She was seated before I was and literally took up half of my seat.  I had to watch the whole thing perched on the edge of my chair.  I know the organizers want to fit in as many people as possible, but that was not cool.

The Ugly (You Know):
This one is really too easy.  I saw more tits & ass at this convention than possibly an entire lifetime of Mardi Gras parades growing up in New Orleans.  And very few of the folks had the bods to support being nearly-naked.  --This is not a value statement on anyone's size. I assure you, I do not have the figure to pull off a mesh body suit.  But then again, I was kind enough to wear jeans and a cotton shirt while I walked around the hotel.  If only I had thought to bring eye-bleach when I packed my clothes.  And if only I'd had the foresight to take pictures of all the male superhero characters who didn't think to wear a cup.  Then you could be scarred for life too!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 10:10:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

The buffy panel is still around huh? I've been watching buffy re-runs on netflix lately, i miss that show.... anyhow, the bad and the ugly, wowsa! Definitely an experience, that dragon con...thanks for all the posts, it's been fun to see! Book Savvy Babe

 
At Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 11:22:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed out on the Supernatural panel at Comic Con and I'm still pissed about it. It was full so I couldn't got in :-(

 
At Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 8:27:00 PM CDT , Blogger Catherine said...

Nice recap. I never really thought about it, but it's probably as disturbing for the actors to make as it is for us to watch, when a rape (or attempted rape) scene's involved.

 
At Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 3:28:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

I might have cried a little when you said there was a SUPERNATURAL PANEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am OBSESSED WITH THAT SHOW. I watch the seasons, I own all of the seasons out right now, I watch them over and over, I tell people how awesome they are and how they really are missing out by not watching them. Oh I would give my arms and legs to be able to watch the actors answer questions...and well just look sexy as hell! Rawr. Ok, I'm done. I think watching the Buffy Panel would have also been a lot of fun. The ugly...wow, still can't get over the outfits! :-P

 
At Friday, September 30, 2011 at 5:28:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, it wasn't just the general attendees of DragonCon who made poor wardrobe choices.



http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150358260835639&set=o.136225597631&type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150358260895639&set=o.136225597631&type=3&theater

 
At Friday, September 30, 2011 at 5:32:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

 
At Friday, September 30, 2011 at 9:26:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was my reaction as well. Followed by, "What was she thinking!?!?!" >_<



http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150358261025639&set=o.136225597631&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150358260935639&set=o.136225597631&type=1

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home