Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Review: Lord of Rage

Reviewed by Jen
 
It's no secret that Lord of the Vampires didn't exactly light my fire.  But I am so glad I didn't give up on the series, because I enjoyed this installment so much more.

If you're unfamiliar with the Royal House of Shadows books, the basic premise is that a Blood Sorcerer has attacked the royal family of magical land of Elden.  He killed the king and queen but before he could attack their children, the royals used their powers to spirit the princes and princess away.  The queen imprinted on them each a will to survive, while the king instilled in them the need for vengeance.

The princess, Breena, has always had the power to walk in the dreams of others. And for some time, she has been sharing her dreams with a mysterious warrior. When her parents' magic sends her away from home, she is drawn to the man who she comes to know as Obsorn. She doesn't remember everything that happened right away, but she remembers Osborn. What she doesn't know is that he is the last of the Berserkers. His people were killed off a decade ago and he's been caring for his younger brothers, the only other survivors from his village. Osborn thinks the people of Elden planned the bloody attack... so you know it's not going to be good once he finds out where he dream woman is from.

Anyway, Breena manages to convince Osborn to train her in battle.  But every moment they are alone together, neither can deny the rising heat between them. Can Obsorn teach Breena what she needs to know to reclaim her lands? Will he still burn for her once he finds out who she really is? Could berserkers be any sexier? Meow.

This was my first book by Jill Monroe and I'd be happy to read from her again.  The writing was clear; the dialogue good; the sex was hot. The only thing I would have changed if I could would have been a bigger climax at the end, but I guess that won't come until the end of the series.  I'm also wondering about the time discrepancies among the different installments. Hopefully, that will be addressed as well.  4 stars.

P.S.  The book was a take on Goldilocks and the Three Bears, which made me wonder if Lord of the Vampires was supposed to be a play on any particular fairy tale.  I looked it up and it was supposed to be a take on Alice in Wonderland.  I had no idea.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Lord of Rage
by Jill Monroe
Release Date: September 20, 2011 
Publisher: Harlequin Nocturne

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 10:49:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

I just finished Lord of the Vampires...they do mention Alice in Wonderland a few times, but the story connection isn't there.... Glad you like this one! Book Savvy Babe

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 11:00:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Alice in Wonderland? Really. I had no idea. Ill look for the Goldilocks in this one when I read it.

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 12:00:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

So happy that you enjoyed this book. I'm really looking forward to reading it. They kept comparing what was going on with the book to Alice in Wonderland...I know it was mentioned several times throughout the book. I just didn't realize that the books were supposed to be a take after a kids bedtime story. It really made sense for Lord of the Vampires for me and I can't wait to see how this one pans out being after Goldilocks and the 3 bears. :-)

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 12:07:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I vaguely remember the mentions of it in hindsight, but it just blew right past me when I was reading it. The comparison to the fairy tale was much more obvious here.

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 1:35:00 PM CDT , Blogger Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

This is the second positive review I've read of this book. I guess I really need to get the first one so I can get to this one! :)

 
At Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 4:18:00 PM CDT , Blogger Megan@Riverina Romantics said...

Great review! I haven't started this series yet.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home