Monday, July 11, 2011

Review: Shameless

Reviewed by Jen
 
This is my first Anne Stuart book, but I can assure you, it won't be my last. Shameless is one of the best Historical Romance books I have read this year. It's fourth in the House of Rohan series, but at no time was I lost or confused by jumping in mid-series. I am, however, compelled to go track down and read the earlier installments, on the chance they are as good as this one.

Benedick Rohan has outlived two wives and a fiance. He has decided that he needs to find himself a new bride. You see, both his former wives died in childbirth. He needs an heir, but doesn't want tender feelings for the woman he marries, in case he becomes a widower once again. Rohan also has a great sexual appetite, so he plans to acquire a mistress, as well, to slake his lusts.

Melisande could not be more his opposite. Since she became a widow, she has turned her back on carnal pleasures. In fact, she has opened her home to fallen women who want to make new lives for themselves. She would have never crossed paths with Rohan, if one of her ladies had not responded to his invitation for a tryst. Melisande went to "rescue" the woman, much to Rohan's chagrin. She infuriates him, but he can't help but be intrigued by her.

A few weeks later, Melisande learns of a secret organization, called the Heavenly Host, which is using and abusing prostitutes. She seeks out Rohan's help when she learns that his brother is part of the group. A woman who escaped the Host told Melisande that the men were planning to sacrifice a virgin, so she and Rohan need to infiltrate the group before they take a life.

Over the course of their investigation, Rohan and Melisande are drawn together like magnets. He quickly teaches her that there is more pleasure to be had in carnal relations than she ever dreamed possible. Even though she's been married, Melisande is innocent in many ways. She blossoms under Rohan's attentions. 

I loved watching these two fall for each other. The sexual tension was tighter than a bowstring and the author plays it to perfection. And the payoff was outstanding. My only beef was Rohan's defense mechanism of lashing out when Melisande gets too close. I understand it, but it was hard to stomach. And I wanted to kick him in the man-jewels more than once.

I really enjoyed the secondary characters as well... especially Emma and Brandon. I am already on the edge of my seat, waiting for their story. 4 1/2 stars.

Shameless 
by Anne Stuart
Release Date: June 21, 2011
Publisher: Mira Books

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Monday, July 11, 2011 at 10:45:00 AM CDT , Blogger Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Usually when I read a historical romance it is just that. This intrigues me (and many that you review) because it is historical romance + more. Fab review :)

 
At Monday, July 11, 2011 at 11:17:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Awww! Thank you. (I really liked this one!)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home