Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Review: Blood Work


Reviewed by Jen
 
I am a huge, huge fan of the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. And I was so excited to find out that a graphic novel was coming out, featuring my favorite characters. Blood Work is a prequel to Dead Witch Walking. But it is set after the events of "Undead in the Garden of Good & Evil." Essentially, it is the story of how Rachel and Ivy came to be partners for the first time, from Ivy's perspective.

Let me talk about the plot first and then I'll get to the art. When Rachel is introduced to Ivy, it's not clear if it supposed to be a punishment or reward from Piscary for Ivy's frame-job of her old boss. At first, the women are like oil and water. But as they start working the case of a dead Were, Rachel begins earning Ivy's respect --and eventually Ivy's more sensual attention. Ivy and Kisten are still a couple and Ivy is very much under Piscary's thumb. But as the book progresses, she begins to question if she wants it to stay that way.

I'm still nursing a broken heart over (*spoiler from book 5*) Kisten's death, so it was bittersweet to see him here; especially since he is so devoted to Piscary, the man ultimately responsible for his murder. There's no Jenks here... Rachel hasn't met him yet. I guess if this were a story told traditionally, it would stack up to a novella. There's not a whole lot going on... more like a snapshot in this time of their lives.

I don't think there was any way I could be 100% happy with someone else's artistic vision for my beloved characters. Rachel, Ivy and Piscary were ok for me. Not exactly how I envisioned them, but I could live with it. Kisten was the furthest from what I pictured. In my mind, he is early Jason Lewis. Here, he is... not. But despite that, it was easy to slide into the story, and interesting to see visual representations of all the tidbits that are part of the Hollows lore... from the charms, to the magic, to Ivy's aura.

I don't know how meaningful this would be to someone who hasn't read the series. But it's a treat for fans. Almost 4 stars.

P.S. Kim Harrison has posted some images from the graphic novel on her blog. Click here if you would like a peek.

*ARC Provided by Del Rey

Click to purchase: Amazon
Blood Work
by Kim Harrison
Release Date: July 12, 2011
Publisher: Del Rey

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 9:56:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Great review hon. I have only read the first one not too long ago. I read so much, can't get around to other books. And now I am waiting for book 2 at the library :( But I will keep this in mind because I loved the first one and I will get here soon LOL! Great post, thank you hon :)

 
At Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 10:15:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Crys said...

I would just like to say you almost have 500 followers. I know I personally am on that list, although I'm not. That is to say; I follow you religiously and have your page as one of my home pgs but am not signed up as a member of google or the other ones. So you probably have more followers even then your follower list has. :) That must be exciting to know so many like to read what you have to say about books. I do some reviews too, and I also get excited when someone finds my reviews useful or will talk about books I've read with me. Anyways, just keep up the great reviews! :)

 
At Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 10:33:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Diana: The Hollows is really a great series... and it just gets better and better. It really hits its stride with For a Few Demons More. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Crys: Thank you so much! It's great to see all the little faces in the GFC boxes, but comments like yours are so much more gratifying. Thanks for taking the time to let me know that you're reading!

Jen

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home