Sunday, November 7, 2010

Review: A Hunger Like No Other

I read a lot. So much so that it makes my husband angry and my friends tease me. I tell you this so you know I mean business when I say Kresley Cole’s A Hunger Like No Other is one of the best Paranormal Romance books I have ever read.  The story centers around Lykae king Lachlain MacRieve. At the start of the book, he is chained in the pits of hell (for lack of a better word) and has been burning to near-death and resurrecting for hundreds of years. But then he scents his fated mated above ground. He busts free and finds her… only to discover she is part vampire. Lachlain hates the vampires, though, since they chained him that fiery prison and all….

Anyway, Emma is sweet, timid and not at all worldly.  An innocent in just about every way. Lachlain kidnaps her and uses her to help him acclimate to the new era he’s facing.  He pushes the envelope of a sexual relationship with her… and slowly begins to form an emotional relationship as well. 

Emma helps Lachlain journey back to his home in Scotland. (His accent is to die for, BTW.)  And he reunites with his people he hasn’t seen in centuries. While all this is happening, bad-guy vamps are trying to kidnap Emma.  It creates lots of drama and sets up a great twist at the end.

I want to acknowledge that I have heard some people complain that they felt Lachlain was too dominant, that they felt like he was forcing Emma to be with him physically, especially in the early parts of the book.  I felt like his self-control was tenuous, but their connection was undeniable.  I think it pushed the envelope, but for me, it didn't cross the line.  Lachlain is a great tortured hero, and those always resonate with me.

The world of the “Lore” that Kresley Cole establishes is unique and so easy to lose yourself in. The events in this book integrate seamlessly into other books in the series. I can’t recommend the Immortals After Dark books enough. And this is the book that made me fall in love with them all.

I’d give it more than 5 stars if I could.

Click to purchase: Amazon
A Hunger Like No Other
by Kresley Cole
Release Date: March 28, 2006
Publisher: Pocket Star

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 11:41:00 AM CDT , Blogger Megan@Riverina Romantics said...

Kresley Cole is the best!

 
At Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 3:48:00 PM CDT , Blogger bittenbyromance said...

This is one of the best PNR series out there. I even like it better than BDB. Oh yeah, give me Cole any day..

 
At Friday, August 3, 2012 at 1:24:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading this book over and over and I must say that I can't stand Emma. I've grown to hate her, and I started to like Cass. She should be with Lachlain, but then the story would be ruined I guess. I can't wait for Cassandra's book.

 
At Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 9:33:00 AM CDT , Blogger Irene Jennings said...

This is great! Thanks for the heads up! I was just looking for my copy of this and I couldn't find it anywhere and now I can get it back! Oh, can I LOVE this series any more?

Irene Jennings (Condo Las Vegas)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home