Monday, April 11, 2011

Review: Born of Ice

Even on her worst day, I can't dislike a Sherrilyn Kenyon book. Admittedly, this is my least favorite installment in the League series, but I still enjoyed it.  Kenyon hit the fast-forward button, focusing this third book on the children of our core characters in Born of Night and Born of Fire.  Our hero is Devyn, son of Sin and Sharhara.  He is the captain of a runner-ship and a doctor, like his father.  He tried working with the League, but his ethics got in the way, so now he spends most of his time trying to help those in need.

But Merjack, the Chief Minister of Justice, holds a grudge against the Wade family. And he targets Devyn by sending in Alix as a plant in his crew.  Alix is a slave and Merjack is holding her mother and sister hostage to force her to do his will.  She is to either find proof Devyn is breaking the law or fabricate it.  Of course, despite her intention of doing what she must to save her family, that's easier said than done when she starts to fall for Devyn.

There were things I really liked about the book. It was great meeting all of Nykyrian's kids and seeing what happened to so many of the characters I grew attached to in the early books.  It was like one great big Epilogue.  As always, I enjoyed Kenyon's writing style and her sexy love scenes.  But for some reason, this book didn't strike the same emotional chord that the others did.  I didn't really feel why Devyn fell for Alix (though it was obvious why she fell for him.)  Shahara's character felt off to me, nothing like the woman from Born of Fire.  And the big Paden reveal felt contrived.  Yeah, I wanted him back in the fold, but it just tied up too quickly and easily to me.

I wish we would have had more stories with characters of the earlier generation before we moved on to their kids.  Personally, I am dying for a Nero story.  3 1/2 stars.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home