Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rant: The League

OK, I love Sherrilyn Kenyon. I feel like I have to lead with that because I am so disappointed right now. I'm in the midst of a re-read of her League series, because my ARC of Caillen's book, Born of Shadows, is screaming at me from my Nook to come read it.   So I wander over to Kenyon's website, which I do whenever I read her books, because it is filled with those great character pages. And then I see that she has a page set up for the next League book, Born in Silence, featuring Darling as the lead!  I clicked on it and my heart sank.

Darling is paired with a woman. What's wrong with this?  If you are asking that question, you've never read the League books. Because in them, Darling is GAY.  He has no history of liking girls in any way. In fact, his uncle beats the crap out of him for having relationships with men. In Born of Night, Nykyerian says plainly, "Darling isn't attracted to women."  He has a daughter in Born of Ice, but no mother is mentioned and it never even occured to me that she might have been conceived the old-fashioned way because such a fine point was always placed on his sexual preference.

Before I clicked onto the page, when I saw his name next to the book, I thought to myself how proud I was of Sherrilyn Kenyon. That it was kind of brave that she was giving the gay character a book... how I wish JR Ward would do the same for my beloved Qhuinn and Blay... and then... it's not that at all.  Frankly, I'd much rather him not have a book at all than to change his character to suit a M/F formula.  I wish I had never seen this.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 9:37:00 PM CDT , Blogger Megan@Riverina Romantics said...

I didn't see this. I agree that it would have been nice for another well known main stream author to tackle the M/M genre. There are ways to do it without loosing your fan base.

 
At Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 10:31:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noooooooooooooooo, I was certain Darling was gay, too. Wow, I don't usually like to say this about my favorite authors but I really can't think of any other term for it.... she SOLD OUT Darling with this book.

 
At Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 3:02:00 PM CDT , Blogger Francesca said...

I am in complete agreement with you Jen! He is GAY! Why can't he stay that way?

 
At Friday, February 10, 2012 at 4:46:00 PM CST , Blogger S. Evelyn Jackson said...

In her defense it could be possible that other dynamics come into play. You really won't know until you read the book and fully understand where she is coming from and her direction in going this route.

There are a few instances where it was questionable about Darling's sexuality. Just like in the book The Guardian, Seth had been brutalized just as Acheron was and in his book Acheron it details all that the experienced. So, cut her some slack she is a very talented writer. Lets see how she will weave this web and how it all plays out.

 
At Friday, February 10, 2012 at 8:46:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

A few people have said that they saw clues but I never saw any. I definitely will read it. I just feel like it was a bait & switch.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home