Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Review: Star of Wonder

Reviewed by Shelly
 
If you’ve not read the genre description (BDSM & Fetish), please do because it’s there for a reason, and let me tell you folks, Payne means it.

I didn’t read any of the other installments in the series, so I can’t say how this relates or compares to those. What I can tell you is that I didn’t feel as if I missed anything while reading this one.

During a party for military personnel, Chicago Bazillionaire Dante Tiere serendipitously meets Lieutenant Celina Kouris. For Dante, it’s lust at first sight. For Celina, it’s complete and total resentment for his playboy status and wealth. This might be surprising, but it goes downhill for these two from here. You could feel the sparks and that’s part of what works for me. Celina possesses utter dislike for people like Dante – she’s got some issues she has to work around to get where she needs to be. On the other hand, Dante sees this beautiful person that he can’t wait to get to know better.

I really enjoyed the writing of Payne, her dialogue is very smart and witty, and I particularly liked Celina’s. Having grown up in a house full of men, Celina does have a bit of a potty mouth, but not anything that we’ve not all said ourselves. And in her defense, she is Navy. She definitely had her faults, but who wants a perfect heroine? I know I certainly don’t. I have to mention my thoughts on her resentful attitude towards Dante outside of the bedroom – I can’t blame the woman, considering her background and let’s face it – she just met the dude.

Oh Dante, Dante, Dante... he’s such a man’s man, alpha male, hoorah kinda guy who really just liked the smart girl in the plain Navy uniform. He was a great match for Celina; she was his someone who he could share his thoughts without coming off like a wimp and even better, someone who would show her how to be a better her. Gotta like that.

Celina’s friends, Lieutenants Eve Pascal and Reiley Young were true wing-men/women when it came time for Dante to start handling his business with Celina. What a riot they were! Her brothers Nik, Dylan and Cam – holy cheese and crackers Batman! – are they getting their own stories? Say yes, please.

In the end, I really liked this story a lot. It was a quick read and kept me entertained all the way through. I’ll admit that a couple of the sex scenes are long and I did find myself getting a little uncomfortable with some of the paddling and flogging but other than that – all good. Nothing wrong about that. I didn’t judge, just handle ya business.

Last but not least, beyond the BDSM warning, I just saw this as a story about a couple who find that they like a little extra spice in the bedroom. Different strokes for different folks, now go get your kink on!

Happy Reading folks!

Rating: B

*ARC Provided by author for review

Click to purchase: Amazon
Star of Wonder
by Angel Payne
Release Date: December 12, 2012
Publisher: Loose ID

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home