Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review: Wicked Nights

Reviewed by Jen
 
I have no doubt that Lords of the Underworld fans are going to love this one.  It's got all the things that make a great Gena Showalter book: hot sexual tension, humor, great world-building, a strong heroine, and an alpha hero undone by his first feelings of love.  --Oh, and did I mention the hero is a virgin?  Mmm.

We first met Zacharel in The Darkest Secret, an angel sent to deal with Amun when he came back from Hell, dripping with demons.  He's gorgeous and powerful, but seemingly void of emotions.  The only person he has ever cared about was his twin brother, Hadreniel. The brother who begged for death after being tortured by demons.  The brother he killed to end his suffering.

Zacharel's lack of feelings and general disinterest in humanity have him in trouble with his Deity. Too many times, Zacharel has considered a human to be collateral damage in his fight against demons.  As punishment, he must lead a band of problematic angels on the cusp of losing their wings.  He is responsible for their actions and together, they will either all be redeemed or they will all fall.

A demon killing mission leads Zacharel to the institute for the criminally insane where Annabelle is being held. She was accused of killing her parents years ago. But it was really a demon attack --and she has been plagued by monsters ever since.  No one else can see or hear them, though, and that only makes her look crazier.

When Zacharel and Annabelle meet, he is instantly drawn to her. She is a fascinating contradiction. Strong yet vulnerable. Naive and jaded.  In many ways, her spirit reminds him of the brother he lost so long ago. He ends up rescuing her from captivity and decides to help her figure out why she is a demon target and, later, to track down the monster that ruined her life.

There were so many things I liked about this book.  I loved watching Zacharel's transformation.  The way he discovers emotion and desire.  I liked that it wasn't an easy path and that he makes mistakes.  I loved, loved, loved the secondary characters in his band of angel warriors.  Koldo's story is next, but I already have a favorite and I will be waiting with baited breath for Xerxes' book.

The events of Amun's book and The Darkest Seduction are referenced here and we do get appearances from a handful of the Lords and their mates. That was great for me, but I'm not sure how it would play for a new reader.

The sex is hot, but I felt like we had to wait a long time for it.  I think I would have liked a little more payoff on Zacharel losing his virginity.  My only other complaint was that I figured out the villain reveal very, very early on in the story. Maybe I've read too many Showalter books because I saw it coming a mile away.  But I liked how it all worked out in the end. It was very sexy and satisfying. Definitely worth reading!

Rating: B+

*ARC provided by Little Bird Publicity

Click to purchase: Amazon
Wicked Nights
by Gena Showalter
Release Date: June 26, 2012
Publisher: HQN Books

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 9:42:00 AM CDT , Blogger Amber Hughes said...

I'm so looking forward to this book!! I will definitely be reading it after I read Once Burned. Why did they have to release on the same day?! LOL! I'm so glad she decided to do a spin-off with the angels. I also LOVE this cover :-)

 
At Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 9:48:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

It's gorgeous, isn't it?? That's a good plan, Amber. Both this and O.B. are fantastic!

 
At Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 6:51:00 PM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

Today is a VERY happy release day!!! Great review, Jen :)

 
At Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 7:34:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thank you! I know this one is in your TBR too!

 
At Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 9:33:00 PM CDT , Blogger Underworld Love Addiction said...

Great review :)

 
At Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 5:33:00 AM CDT , Blogger Sophia Rose said...

I can't wait until its my turn to read it. You did a great job of summoning it up. Thanks!

 
At Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 9:15:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

You'll love it. Classic Gena Showalter!

 
At Saturday, July 7, 2012 at 10:25:00 PM CDT , Blogger molly.frenzel said...

Awesome review!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home