Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review: Magic Bites


Reviewed by Jen
 
I love Kate Daniels. She is brash; she is mouthy; she’s funny; and she kicks ass. Kate lives in alternate or perhaps future version of Atlanta.  Vampires exist. So do shapeshifters… and perhaps most importantly, so does magic.  In fact, the onset of magic into the world has changed its very landscape. Magic is the antithesis of technology. It comes in waves, and when it does, mechanical instruments stop working.  That means everything from lights to cars to tv’s are out of commission, until the magic recedes and technology reigns again.

Kate has magic in her blood, so much of it in fact, that she keeps it and its source, a tightly guarded secret. She uses her magic and kick-butt skills as a mercenary for hire, until her childhood guardian Greg is killed.  She takes it upon herself to solve the mystery of his grisly death and bring his killer to justice. To do that, she must align herself with the Order of Merciful aid, an agency that sort-of polices the supernatural. And she must work with the local shapeshifters. 

Next to Kate herself, Curran –the Lord of the Beasts– is the most fascinating character in the story.  The two of them have absolutely explosive chemistry.  They’re not romancing each other… at least not in the traditional sense. Every word, every action is a challenge, a chance to one-up the other.  Their exchanges are witty and funny, and it’s hard to miss a bit of sexual heat creeping in.

The world-building is clear, consistent and easy to understand.  The characters were three-dimensional and easily defined.  And despite a big supporting cast, I never had to ask myself, “Who was that again?” 

As I gush, I do have to admit that the book is not perfect. There were two points that did make me scratch my head. (*spoilers*) Once, wondering why the heck Curran would blame Kate for getting the wrong idea about Crest, when she never supported the idea that he was the bad guy.  The other: why everyone assumed the case was closed with the death of Roland’s concubine, when there was no proof or explanation as to why she killed Greg.  But both these issues were minor.

I can tell you that each one of the books in this series gets progressively better.  And I loved them so much that they inspired me to start writing book reviews in the first place.  If you’ve never read Kate Daniels, and you’re a fan of Urban Fantasy, what are you waiting for? You’re missing out on something great. 4 1/2 stars.

Magic Bites
by Ilona Andrews
Release Date: March 27, 2007
Publisher: Ace  

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 4:49:00 PM CDT , Blogger JillyB07 said...

I have to disagree only with one tiny thing. to me was that the first book took me a week to go through because the world was confusing and I always asked, who was that again. I am so glad I did get through it cause it took me three days to read the rest of the series cause I fell in love! I cant wait to read the new one this month! This series is now one of my favorites!

 
At Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 4:55:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

It's good to hear another perspective, Jilly. (And great to see another Kate fan!)

 
At Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 5:25:00 PM CDT , Blogger Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

For some reason this cover reminds me of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

 
At Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 5:31:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I almost didn't read these because of the covers. I'm so glad I changed my mind!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home