Friday, May 13, 2011

Review: Promises

Jared is a man who has just about given up on love.  There are no other gay men even close to his age in the small Colorado town of Coda, where he lives.  But he can't imagine living anywhere else.  He runs a family business with his brother and sister-in-law.  His family is close and he loves his surroundings. 

But when Matt walks into his shop for the first time, Jared's blood heats up.  The two men hit it off quickly, becoming fast friends.  Unfortunately, Matt is straight.  But they become as close as two platonic people can be, hiking together, watching football, drinking beer.  It's not until Jared is hurt in a serious accident, that Matt begins to realize the depths of his own feelings.  Feelings that scare him senseless.   And the story moves forward from there, going from Will-they? or Won't-they? ...to Can Matt get over his issues? ...to Can Jared get over his issues?  

But here's the thing. It was such a joy to watch the story unfold and find out the answers.  Matt's hesitation and confusion felt very realistic under the circumstances.   Jared's trepidations and yearnings were palpable.  And when these two finally came together, it was just lovely. And hot. Did I mention hot?

The sex is portrayed in the same degree of detail you'd find in your typical m/f romance novel... from foreplay to doing the actual deed.  It's scintillating but it's wrapped up in emotions. It doesn't feel cheap or tawdry, but it's plenty smexy.  I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys or would like to try m/m romance.  It's a great book.  5 stars.

*Thanks to Mandi at SmexyBooks, Brie at Romance Around the Corner, and everyone else who gave me this recommendation.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, May 13, 2011 at 12:35:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tracy said...

Great review, Jen. Promises was a great read and one of the many great m/m contemporary romances that give full credit to the characters and their emotions. I don't know how new you are to m/m romance books, but I could recommend several in different genres - including m/m romantic suspense and paranormal romance - that you may enjoy if you liked this one. Well written books with three dimensional characters and interesting plots. Oh yeah - and smexy fun.

Let me know if you want a few recs.
~Tracy

 
At Friday, May 13, 2011 at 12:42:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I'd love some. I'm pretty new to the genre. I've read this, Faith & Fidelty, and a horrendous book I can barely characterize called Hart & Soul from NetGalley. That's about it. I rarely read contemporary romance for m/f... I'm usually more into historical and/or paranormal romance. (I fell in love with Qhuinn & Blay in the BDB books.) But I'm game to try almost anything. I'm not a fan of BDSM, so you can leave those out, but anything else would be great.

Thanks Tracy!

 
At Friday, May 13, 2011 at 1:22:00 PM CDT , Blogger Brie said...

I’m so glad you liked it! I told you that the character’s reaction in this book was way more realistic than in Faith & Fidelity! I’m back to my blog to do some damage control after Blogger erased my latest reviews and even worse, my visitors count! I’m suddenly missing like 200 visitors.

 
At Friday, May 13, 2011 at 8:21:00 PM CDT , Blogger Francesca said...

OOOHhh! I have this book already. My friend referred it to me and I've been meaning to get to it but just haven't had the time! Your review has made me want to drop everything and pick this up! Ahh! Great review :)

Ann

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home