Sunday, May 8, 2011

Review: Twilight Prophecy

Dear Maggie Shayne, You have just caused the exponential growth of my TBR pile. Because thanks to this book, I feel compelled to go and read your entire backlist. That is no small feat, because The Twilight Prophecy is book 1000 or so in the Wings in the Night series. But what is absolutely amazing, is that there was not one single instance that I ever felt like I was missing something. Obviously, this book includes several couples featured in the previous books. But this book worked clearly and spectacularly as a stand-alone as well.

James is special among the vampires. He is 1/4 human and he has the ability to heal with his touch. His gift is so powerful, it can even bring people back from the dead. He and his twin sister Brigit are prophesied to be the saviors of their people. And it's time for that prophecy to come true. Vampires are being revealed to the human race; and the humans are lashing out, obliterating the supernatural.

Lucy is the archaeologist and professor who uncovered and translated the ancient Sumerian texts that held the prophecy. She is also a Chosen, a human with the antibodies necessary to one day allow her to become a vampire. James and Brigit pretty-much kidnap her to help them figure out how to find the first immortal, who they think is the key to saving their people.

It's a riveting story. I never got bored. I never got lost. The romance was solid; though it wasn't overly hot. I think there was only one love scene on-page. I am accustomed to a little more smut in my PRs. But I almost didn't notice, as I got wrapped up in the action. (By the way, that's a mighty big compliment.)

The book does resolve the relationship between James and Lucy, but ends on a cliff-hanger, so be forewarned. I'm looking forward to see what will happen when I get my hand on Twilight Fulfilled. 4 1/2 stars.


*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Monday, May 9, 2011 at 2:33:00 AM CDT , Blogger Megan@Riverina Romantics said...

Great review Jen!

 
At Monday, May 9, 2011 at 3:31:00 AM CDT , Blogger Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Great review. So is this book one in the series or is this book mid-series?

 
At Monday, May 9, 2011 at 9:24:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I think it's book 17. But I haven't read any of the books before it and I understood it perfectly. I'd have no qualms about recommending it to someone who hasn't read the previous books. Of course, now I'll have to go and read the other 16 because I enjoyed this one so much.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home