Friday, March 25, 2011

Review: Lover Awakened

Reviewed by Jen
 
Zsadist is the benchmark I measure all my tortured heroes against.  He is a warrior vampire, who was kidnapped as a baby. He was sold into slavery and spent the first century of his life being used for blood and sex.  His twin, Phury, rescued him, but not before irreparable damage was done to his body and mind.

Our book begins with our heroine, Bella, in captivity. She has been kidnapped by a Lesser... a soulless vampire hunter.  She reminds him of a woman he once loved and he now thinks of Bella as "his." Did I mention Mr. O is bat-shit crazy?  Yeah, completely coconuts. And he has become the Omega's butt-buddy in order to rule the Lessening Society and protect his secret love for Bella.

Z, meanwhile, has been obsessing about the kidnapped woman and searching desperately for her.  A connection between the two of them had been established in the last book... and he can't give up on her. Of course, he finds her and nurses her back to health.  She stays with Z and the other members of the Brotherhood as she heals. And she makes no secret of her feelings for Zsadist. Even though he feels the same way about her, he feels unworthy of her. So he pushes her away time and time again. When the two of them finally get together, though, their love scenes are some of the very best I have ever read. Anywhere. Zsadist is a man his own twin has proclaimed to be "ruined." But it is mesmerizing and beautiful to watch Bella's love put the broken man back together again.

I should probably warn you, there are some disturbing moments as Z's experiences are recounted through his memories. But it's necessary to see what he's had to endure, to understand the shell of a man he became. And it makes it all the more poignant, as he finally realizes the happiness he never thought he would experience. 10 stars. Out of 5.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At Friday, March 25, 2011 at 3:19:00 PM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

Great review! I loved this book too!

 
At Friday, March 25, 2011 at 3:30:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thanks Heather! It's one of my favorites of all time.

 
At Friday, March 25, 2011 at 3:30:00 PM CDT , Blogger Lindsay said...

This book was so heart-wrenching! I remember I had to put it down a few times, I felt so bad for Z!

 
At Friday, March 25, 2011 at 7:30:00 PM CDT , Blogger Natalie said...

I read the first book in this series awhile back, and I thought it was ok. A lot of people tell me that it gets better though, so I'll have to read the rest eventually!

 
At Friday, March 25, 2011 at 9:15:00 PM CDT , Blogger Sara said...

I've read some of these, I didn't read the last couple.

My husband loved when I read them though. Those sex scenes are hot!

http://booksyourkidswilllove.blogspot.com/2011/03/follow-friday-and-book-blogger-hop_25.html

 
At Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 9:21:00 AM CDT , Blogger Amber (Books of Amber) said...

J R Ward's books have been on my wish list forever now! I really am dying to read them.
Excellent review!

 
At Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 4:22:00 PM CDT , Blogger Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

i think zsadist is by far one of the most fascinating characters in this series. he is totally the type of guy character i write, when i write guys. maybe that's why i loved him so much. same with rhage and tohr. but i really love all that you brought out, when reviewing z's story. he and bella have a soft place in my heart for sure!

 
At Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 4:25:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thanks guys for all the positive words. I love reading your comments!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home