Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review: The Darkest Secret


Reviewed by Jen
 
Before I started this book, I had some serious concerns about how Gena Showalter would pull this one off. I mean, the hero of the story essentially can't speak. And the leading lady is an old-arch enemy who killed a man that he loved like a brother. But there's a reason Gena Showalter is the best-selling author and I am the fan-girl. Not only did she pull it off, but she actually managed to give us great insight into our hero and made our heroine extremely sympathetic.

Amun shares his body with the demon Secrets. He can read minds and in extreme cases, steal memories. At the end of The Darkest Lie, his gift (curse?) opened the doorway for hundreds of crazed lower-demons to also take up residence in his head... and he has been driven to madness.  Meanwhile, Strider (a fellow Lord, possessed by Defeat) has captured Haidee. She is a Hunter, who has dedicated her life to slaying Lords. In fact, centuries ago, she managed to kill one.  But once she is in the fortress, Amun reaches out to her telepathically. It is quickly revealed that the two share some kind of bond that makes them warm and fuzzy, despite the fact that they should be enemies.  In her presence, the torment from the demons quiets inside Amun.  But the Angels who have allowed him to live while he regained his sanity, demand he return to Hell (with Haidee) to be rid of them for good.

I really enjoyed getting to know Amun. He's been around since the beginning, but like Kane, he was kind of like a piece of furniture. He was there in the background, utilized or referred to from time to time, but never given much of a personality.  And Haidee is fleshed out wonderfully. I couldn't imagine how her character could be redeemed, but she was... with a fantastic backstory.  Of course, we had our sexy-Showalter love scenes. They were good; though not quite as red-hot for me as in some of the previous installments.

This book also gives us some more inside into Strider. (Win!)   I find I like him more and more with each passing book. At the end of The Darkest Lie, I really thought he would be paired with Haidee, but it was interesting to see how his lust for her is dealt with.  It was resolved a little too neatly in the end. But I can get over it, now seeing who his love interest will be in The Darkest Surrender.  I can't wait to see how it plays out. 4 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by Harlequin Books

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 1:29:00 PM CDT , Blogger Yvonne said...

Great review!
I'm a new follower -- love your blog!
I also enjoy SMUT!! :-)

(Sorry -- I had to delete my original post due to a typo. I wish there was some way to edit comments.)

 
At Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 1:32:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

No worries. I deleted it for you. :) Thanks for the kind words and the follow. I appreciate it!

 
At Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 9:55:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tyraa said...

I"m so jealous of you right now! I can't wait to read this book. I love Amun. I'm not gunna read your review yet cos I don't wanna spoil it, but I'll def return :)

 
At Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 9:58:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I tried not to give too much away in the review. But I understand staying away... I hate to be spoiled on ANYTHING in a book. I hope you enjoy it!

 
At Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 4:25:00 PM CDT , Blogger Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

yes! i am so glad to see someone enjoyed this book. i've been worrying about it since it was revealed amun will be with haidee. really worrying. so it is so very cool to (not only meet another showalter fan!) but see someone who read this book and still has the same faith i do in showalter. :D

that said, i really really hope kane gets a book soon. i am hoping gena will continue to flesh out the lesser-used characters and for some reason, i am crazy about kane.

thanks so much for reviewing this book!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home