Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review: Treacherous Temptations

Reviewed by Shelly
 
I can’t tell a lie, I like Vane’s work. Her DeVere’s Series is the shit, and she’s quickly taking the place of Samantha Kane in my arsenal of historical romance reading. So with that in mind, I picked up this story, hoping that it wouldn’t disappoint me. I was sooo not disappointed. Once I started reading, I was hooked. This is one of the better reformed rake stories I’ve read because this dude was a complete and total asshole and my sympathy had to be earned. The only way that could have happened was with good character development and that’s exactly what happened.

Mary Elizabeth Edwardes’s recently departed father has appointed her guardian – Richard, the vilest person in the Kingdom of Vileness. He’s decided that it’s time that Mary marry, but of course he wouldn’t be doing his appointed duty if he didn’t have a suitor or two in mind. Hadley Blanchard is definitely not one of the chosen few. As a matter of fact, he’s a self-exiled nobleman and has decided not only that he’s through running but he wants both his name and his family’s wealth back. To get this, he sets off on a path of destruction, deceit and seduction.

I had such disdain and contempt for Hadley that I relished every bad thing that happened to him. You know when you meet someone and their duplicitous ways are just so obvious, you can’t help but just want to take a shower and pretend you never met them. That’s the way I felt about Hadley, especially in the first few chapters – until he finally found out that it’s time to stop running, stop living in the past and open himself for a bright and fulfilling future that starts with Mary.

One of the many things I enjoyed about Mary was her ability to see herself for what she was. She knew she wasn’t what society would class as ‘pretty’ but she also knew what she wanted and was deserving of both desire and love in her marriage. I equally liked her smartness and the hints of naivety in her dealings with her new surroundings especially Hadley’s stepmother. Her interactions and sexual chemistry with Hadley were well written and believable, she was no whimpering wallflower and that made for a good read.

I really liked this story and would highly recommend it if you’re looking for a well plotted storyline and wonderful character development.

Happy Reading folks!

Rating: B+

*ARC provided by author for review

Click to purchase: Amazon
Treacherous Temptations
by Victoria Vane
Release Date: January 21, 2013
Publisher: Entangled
 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home