Thursday, January 10, 2013

Review: Truth's Evil Light

Reviewed by Shelly
 
I don’t know where Michaela McGregor came from... I don’t really care if you’re a Zephyri or not, I’m just super glad that you wrote this story. When I got this book in the mail I was intrigued by the cover – almost simple in its design. What I can tell you folks is this, there’s nothing about this story that is simplistic (in a good way). The story is complex but told in a way that is very understandable and very easy to read and, more importantly, easy to follow. The ‘otherworld’ starts out quickly and there are some times that I started to say ‘wait, what’s that’ – there’s a glossary that helps out a ton and doesn’t allow the story to be bogged down with the same explanation over and over.

Working for the CIA, Cheveyo Oneida ‘Chevy’ Singer is an empath in a world that doesn’t understand her and unfortunately makes her a ‘freak’. An orphan since age ten when her parents died in a fire, she was found by John who turned her over to the government system. She was teamed with Tony Romano, who would become her guiding figure and more importantly – friend and family.

The story kicks off quickly and doesn’t let up, as Chevy goed on a rescue mission for Tony who was kidnapped while they were on a training exercise. During the rescue, we get a glimpse of Chevy’s powers and the potential she has if she uses her powers for good, not evil. At this point, I’m hoping this story doesn’t take a turn for the worst and turn this emerging character into a vapid, stupid heroine. My hope was not wasted - this chick rocks.

I really liked Chevy’s character. She’s tall --at six feet even-- and kinda thin, so in addition to her psychic abilities she’s feeling outside the norm. But my enjoyment of her was that she was no pushover and certainly not helpless. Never once did I question her motivation or want to smack her for her silliness.

During Tony’s attempted rescue and after accidently exposing the Zephyri on national TV, Chevy’s problems exponentially increase when she has to fend-off not only the human bad guys but vampires, fairies, elves, and shifters from a whole other world. Rescued by the Zephyri, Chevy doesn’t know if she’s been saved or damned but she’ll soon find out. In the meantime, she’s got to save her friend Tony, rescue members of the Zephyri before the U.S. government kills them, save the Earth from the evils of the Zephyri, find her first boyfriend, all this while trying to save her own skin from a madman who’s intent on killing her. What’s a girl to do?!?!

I completely got caught up in the people of the Zephyri, especially Kegan McIntyre, the too-hot-for-his-own-good, day walking vampire and his student Sophia. Sophia is completely and totally bat-shit crazy and so awesome that I’m hoping she get hers somewhere along the line. There are four ruling members who make up the Council of the Zephyri: Ellarian, Queen of the fairies has the best and most justified case of Napoleon syndrome EVER. Fenion - King of the elves, Aadi – rajah of the shifters, Baldr – regent of the vampires is the biggest dude (literally a giant) around. And then there’s Tsái aka Eryx– the hottie with the most-est and oh yeah, he’s also ruler of the Zephyri.

There’s no sex in this story – but I absolutely guarantee I would have been disappointed if there was because there was no reason for it in this installment in the series. The tension of Chevy testing her wings was enough to make me pull my hair out because I just didn’t know who’s really deserving of her. She’s so young and impressionable with the guys, it’s refreshing that she doesn’t fall for their silly lines. I have no clue who she’s going to end up with and I’m totally okay with that because I want her to grow into herself more before she takes on a relationship - I’m on pins and needle to see who it’s going to be.

I really hope that the series brings it as much as this story did, because I’ll tell you folks, it’s worth the time, yes it’s just that good.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: A+

*Book provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
Truth's Evil Light
by Michaela McGregor
Release Date: September 2, 2012

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home