Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: The Devil's Thief

Reviewed by Shelly
 
I can't tell a lie folks, I'm a big Samantha Kane fan. I've read her Brothers in Arms series and thought she hit it out of the ball park with the majority of that series. I've also read some of her other works including sci-fi and other historicals, and I really enjoyed them. So it's with that mindset that I started reading this story.

As the founder and source of income for a children's home, Julianna Harte is in need of money and she needs it yesterday. Ya'll know when it's for the children, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Julianna figures the only way she can get the necessary funds for the back rent on the children's home is to steal the Stewart Pearl. As the daughter of a former jewel thief, this should be relatively easy because gosh knows that she's already learned the tricks of the trade from her father. Well, not so much. The holder of the Stewart Pearl might have something to say about that. Alasdair Sharpe, is the current keeper of the pearl and when he catches Julianna in his bedroom smack dab in the middle of the act he makes her a deal that she doesn't refuse. One night of sex, she's a virgin by the way, and in exchange he'll give her the pearl in the morning. Um, sure right - that sounds about fair price for that.

I really wanted to like this story more than I did but for some reason I just didn't get into it until the latter portion of the story. I found Julianna to be a strong character but I just didn't understand her rationale for have sex with Alasdair the first or even the second time. I really thought she would have been smarter than that considering she had her father as her only mentor.

I didn't think of Alasdair as a nice person, a jerk actually. One of his early lines, "she made herself available, and I had nothing better to do" in reference to one of his peer's mistresses. When it was time for him to proclaim his love - I was over him.

Of the secondary characters, I thought that alcoholic Roger Templeton and leader of the pack Sir Hilary St. John were two of the more interesting characters. From what I read in the excerpt, I think Roger's story is coming up next. For some strange eye-twinkling reason, I think that that back story of Julianne's Dad would make a good read.

The sex was good, but I didn't find them to be very emotionally attached. I did get an HEA so I was okay with it by then end.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: C

*ARC provided by Random House via Net Galley

Click to purchase: Amazon
The Devil's Thief
by Nalini Singh
Release Date: November 12, 2012
Publisher: Loveswept

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home