Monday, December 31, 2012

Review: A Marry, Merry Christmas


Reviewed by Jen
 
This anthology features two historical and two contemporary romances with a Christmas wedding theme.

"His Indecent Proposal" - After years abroad, Victor has returned to his brother's home. He is shocked to find out that the family's governess is the same feisty woman he nearly accosted in a tavern years ago.  The attraction he felt for her then is still strong now. He wants to make her his, but she believes a future together is impossible. Can he change her mind?

The premise for this story is fairly good, but I felt like it was rushed in places.  Penelope changes her tune very quickly and it seemed abrupt and forced.  Maybe it's because the story is so short, but I needed a more realistic transition for her... and a better explanation for her initial rejection of Victor's honorable proposal.  It's not a bad story, it just felt like it had some holes in it. 

"A Love Like That" - After two years, Tina is still mourning the loss of her husband David.  But she is determined to open herself up to new possibilities for happiness.  Enter her neighbor, Wade.  It turns out that the sexy plumber has been doing small acts of kindness for her for months. From plowing her driveway to fixing her mailbox... to a lovely rose he left behind.  He is so different from her husband, but she can't deny her growing feelings for him.

I liked this one. Of course, I am a sucker for stories where the hero doesn't feel good enough for his heroine.  I liked the pacing and almost everything about this one, except for how quickly the L-word started flying.  The last chapter/ epilogue solidified the HEA, so why profess love on the second date? (*sigh*) Even though that bugged me, I enjoyed this one overall.  It was probably my favorite of the bunch.

"Forever Winter" - Susanna feels like she has been waiting for her wedding day forever, but when it finally arrives, it's one disaster after another.  A terrible snowstorm delays her dress, injures the reverend, and keeps away many of the guests.  Then, an attack from her horrible brother-in-law takes things from bad to worse. But all she wants is to marry the man she adores.

I would be upset, too, if my wedding day tanked this way, but Susanna came off a bit like a spoiled child.  Camden made an admirable groom, but I wish I would have had a chance to know him better.  Then, after all that build-up, I have to say I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see the payoff.  I would have preferred to read about the wedding night, rather than the epilogue five years in the future.

"Together at Christmas" - We switch back to contemporary for this last story.  Penny is a widow with two kids who is going home to visit her family for the holidays, when she accidentally grabs the wrong little boy at the train station and pulls him on the train.  It turns out she took the foster son of a station employee named Rick, who cared for her child until they could switch the kids back.  The story follows the couple falling in love and creating a blending family.

This was by far the least compelling of the stories in the book.  While I thought the premise was fine, I saw absolutely no reason for these two to fall in love. There is no build up. No emotion. No sexual tension. Nothing. And they end up married in a week.  Not to mention, Rick orchestrates an adoption in even less time.  Totally implausible, without even a strong emotional tie to make me ignore it.   

Overall Rating: C

*Book provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
A Marry, Merry Christmas
by Amber Daulton, Lynn Kellan, Susan Kaminga, & Terry Long
Release Date: December 4, 2012
Publisher: Bradley Publishing

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Monday, December 31, 2012 at 3:51:00 PM CST , Blogger Amber Daulton said...

Thank you so much for your review, Jen. I really appreciate your honesty. That's why I stop by your website so often. I'll be sending a link of your review to my publisher. Thank you for taking the time to read/review the book.

~~~ Amber Daulton

 
At Monday, December 31, 2012 at 4:17:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

My pleasure, Amber.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home