Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Favorite Books of 2013


It's never too early to start keeping up with the amazing books of the New Year! I am sticking with the tradition I started last year of running "Best of" post, so no great book slips through the cracks.

January

by Kim Harrison


Guys. This is the best installment in the Hollows series to date.  It's not a book for new readers to jump into Rachel Morgan's world.  But for established fans, it's like hitting the jackpot.  The story is more of a continuation of Pale Demon than A Perfect Blood was.  It follows Rachel as she tries to repair the damage her ley line made in the ever after a couple of books back.  Ku'Sox is trying to get her killed.  Ivy is out of town!! It's heavy on Trent and Al --and delivers the emotional kick to the gut that this series should be known for.  Sexy, funny, heartbreaking, and action packed... this one is a can't miss read.

Click to purchase: Ever After

 March

Night Blade
by JC Daniels
There is a difference, I guess, between saying, "this was one of my favorite books of the year," as opposed to saying, "this was one of the best books I have read this year." I can't really call Night Blade a favorite, as it left me gutted and hunched over, rocking in the corner of the room. But what I can say is that it will be one of the most unforgettable books of the year for me. It affected me. It made me reach out to the book community to talk about it. I couldn't put it down, and I now look at Shiloh Walker with a combined sense of awe and horror. You don't want to read this second installment in the series without reading Blade Song first. You'll probably find that first book a bit Kate Daniels-ish. But this second book takes us where Kate has never been. If you're not afraid of some angst, I definitely recommend it.

Click to purchase: Night Blade

by Anne Bishop

This is the most unique feeling Urban Fantasy book I have read in ages.  The tone is so dark.  The monsters aren't just sexy humans with super-powers... they are beasts.  They are killers.  And humans are little more than a food source.  The heroine, Meg, is woman of beautiful spirit.  She shows the "others" the best of what it means to be human.  With her simple kindness and goodwill, she begins to change how they view her kind.  I loved how Bishop portrays the supernaturals in this world; how they are so alien and she doesn't try to humanize them.  I picked this book up and was glued to the pages until I was done.  Very cool.


Click to purchase: Written in Red

by Delilah Marvelle

You may have noticed that historicals don't feature on my favorites lists quite as often as some other genres. But I really, really enjoyed this third installment in the School of Gallantry series.  (Don't worry; it works great as a standalone.)  This book has one of my favorite romance tropes: a tortured hero who thinks he is not good enough for his heroine.  Caldwell and Caroline have been friends since she was only 13, but now she is all grown up.  Despite his best intentions, Caldwell can't help the attraction he feels for her, but he doesn't want to ruin the one good relationship he has ever had by bringing sex into the picture. There is great sexual tension; characters I felt I knew and I loved; and a romance that I could really root for. Plus, a delicious dollop of angst.  Good stuff.


Click to purchase: Lady of Pleasure

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 7:47:00 AM CST , Blogger Julie said...

Gah! I really have to start this series!

 
At Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 7:50:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

The first four books are slow to grow on you. But from book 5 on... it's amazing/ crushing/ terrible/ amazing/ wonderful.

 
At Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 9:30:00 AM CST , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I'm starting the series this month on audio. Fingers crossed.

 
At Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 7:47:00 PM CST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this. I'm going to do this in 2013 also (and make sure to credit your brilliance in my announcement post of course!)

 
At Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 7:53:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Wow! Brilliance? (*preens*)

 
At Friday, January 11, 2013 at 9:30:00 AM CST , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

Yep. I stole the idea too. LOL But I credited ya in my post.


 
At Sunday, April 14, 2013 at 11:31:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Written in red is an amazing book.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home