Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review: Haunted Sanctuary

Reviewed by Jen
 
I've never read Moira Rogers' Red Rock Pass books, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this first book in the spinoff series.  It's set in the same world, but is very easy to jump into as a new reader.  I was never confused or felt like I was missing anything, nor did it seem like we were getting any massive info dumps. The world-building is woven seamlessly into the story.

Jay is a lone wolf in the small town of Clover. That is, until Zack returns to his family's farm.  Jay has no idea that another wolf is linked to the town, especially not one related to Eden, the woman he's been crazy about for ages. But when Eden gets word that something is stirring at the old farm, she knows what it could mean. And sure enough, when she goes out to investigate with Jay, not only does she find her shifter cousin, but other wolves who are out for his blood.  One of them bites her, changing her life forever.

As the story progresses, we learn that Zack was once Alpha to a pack in Memphis, but stronger, power-hungry wolves attacked them. They ran, hoping to find safety on the farm.  Eden and Jay evolve into an Alpha pair and deem the farm a sanctuary to protect the brutalized pack.  This, as the Memphis Alpha's pack threatens to come down and finish what they started.

Right off the bat, I liked the sexual tension between Eden and Jay. Perhaps it was too good, because I was beyond ready for these two to get busy by the time it actually happened. I liked the fact that they had a history together, so it felt more realistic for their relationship to progress so quickly.  I thought Eden adjusted really well to her sudden turning, and it was interesting to see the portrayal of an Alpha pair where "Alpha" doesn't translate into "overbearing buttmonkey."

I've been sitting here, though, trying to figure out why I liked it, but didn't love it. I think it's because the relationship between Eden and Jay was a bit too easy.  Neither one of them really had to work for it. And other than the long wait for sex, everything between them fell into place from the very beginning.  I find my romance ends up being more satisfying with a bit of angst and uncertainly.  Almost all of our angst, here, is in the external conflict tied into the Memphis wolves and the aftermath of their actions.

But, I did enjoy it overall. And I will be back to check out the next story. I hope it's not too soon for Zack and Kaley's story. Now THAT should be deliciously angsty!

Rating: B

*ARC provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
Haunted Sanctuary
by Moira Rogers
Release Date: January 22, 2013
Publisher: Samhain

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 5:18:00 AM CST , Blogger Sophia Rose said...

Enjoyed your review! Thanks for sharing about this new series.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home