Monday, January 21, 2013

Review: Ever After

Reviewed by Jen
 
This is my absolute favorite installment of the Hollows series to date.  The best book I have read in months.  I loved it. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.  It's as though Kim Harrison made this book to order, handpicking all of my favorite elements of the series and letting them shine.  Tons of Trent.  Al.  Jenks. And, of course, the ever after.  It's light on Ivy, the vampire culture, witches and werewolves.  And we actually see real growth in Rachel.  It's like Christmas and my birthday all at once.

The story feels more like a follow up to Pale Demon than A Perfect Blood.  We're experiencing a lot of repercussions from that book.  The ley line Rachel accidentally made is leaking --and slowly destroying the ever after.  Of course, she is blamed, but it's really Ku'Sox who is setting her up. He exacerbated the problems with the lines to put Rachel in the crosshairs --and he'll only fix the problem if she takes the curse off of him that keeps him away from her reality.

Ku'Sox is also gunning for Trent. He's been kidnapping Rosewood babies and he wants Trent to manipulate their genes to make more day-walking demons like Rachel. Ku'Sox wants control of the babies to boost his power among the demons.  Trent won't budge, so Ku'Sox takes desperate action.  Trent and Rachel must work together to best Ku'Sox, as the demon endangers those near and dear to both of their hearts... and all of demonkind.

There is a ton of action in this book. I was pulled in from the very beginning and I did not want to put it down until the last page.  It is unpredictable.  Remember the kind of shockers Kim Harrison delivered in some of the earlier books in the series?  Oh yeah, those are back.  At right about the halfway mark, she kicked me in the gut --hard.  No punches are pulled. No easy roads are taken.  It had me by the seat of my pants the whole time.

One of the things I love about these books is the continuity. Harrison never tries to ignore past events. Instead, she weaves them into current stories, reminding us of those things that built the characters into who they are.  From the rat fights to the doctor Trent killed --from Rachel's failed romances to Denon's death and the boat explosion.  It's all there and then some... all kinds of little Easter Eggs for longtime fans.

We continue to learn more about the demons --and their history.  We meet more gargoyles. Learn more about the ever after. Plot Ellsbeth's death (wait... maybe that last part was just me.)  And we get movement on the whole Rachel and Trent will-they or won't-they dance.  I won't spoil it.  But it's a pretty big story thread, or at least, a major current throughout the book.

I am forcing myself to stop gushing now, before I tell you everything that happened.  Just know that if you were on the fence about continuing this series after A Perfect Blood, please take my advice and read this book. If it doesn't make you fall in love with The Hollows again, I don't know what will.

Rating: A

*ARC Provided by Harper Collins 


Click to purchase: Amazon
Ever After
by Kim Harrison
Release Date: January 22, 2013
Publisher: Harper Collins

Labels: , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 9:01:00 AM CST , Blogger BookaholicCat said...

I'm dying to get this book, and after this review dyiiiiing!!

 
At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 9:04:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Woot!! I knew it wasn't just me! She is so awful. Part of me chooses to believe she got pregnant by artificial insemination.

 
At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 9:04:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Marcela -- It's sooooo good. You are gonna love it.

 
At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 9:11:00 AM CST , Blogger MrsMixx said...

I wanted to rip her apart. GAH! I really hoped we wouldn't have to deal with her again. *sigh*

 
At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 12:57:00 PM CST , Blogger Jess said...

Great review, I agree completely. To be able to say that book 11 in a series is the strongest installment yet is amazing and I loved every page of it.

My new favorite obsession is Bis, he stole every scene he was in, I love that kid! He balanced out all the pages KH made me cry, again. Damn her.

*sigh* Trent - love where this storyline is heading!

 
At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 4:06:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Me too! I can't wait to see what happens next.

<3 Bis!

 
At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 7:53:00 PM CST , Blogger Amber Hughes said...

I'm so happy to reading these very positive early reviews! Looks like this book is a winner! I have to admit I wasn't a big fan of the last book, but I was still looking forward to Ever After. It should be arriving in my mailbox by Wednesday. Great review! :-)

 
At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 7:55:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I didn't love A Perfect Blood either, but this was amazing. You will love it, Amber. I have no doubt.

 
At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 10:13:00 PM CST , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

ah, I'm sitting here waiting for the book to hit my kindle... I'm so excited that you loved this one, now I really can't wait! Book Savvy Babe

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 1:48:00 AM CST , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

I so loved this one. But it did also bring me to tears. I want to talk and weep about it but I have to keep my mouth shut so I don't ruin it.

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 1:51:00 AM CST , Blogger Mardel said...

I've read through Black Magic Sanctions and to be perfectly honest - I've been a little tired of the weird difference between Rachel and crew of the early books and Rachel and crew of the recent books. Rachels seemed a little whinier, not really as strong as usual. All the characters just seemed off, so I've been thinking about giving up the series. If Ever After is really this good, then maybe I'll just skip the next couple of books and go straight to Ever After. It's been getting very old watching Rachel make stupid mistakes and getting beat up all the time, as well as 'listening' to her constant poor me crap. So glad the book is more on track! thanks for the review and the HOPE! ;)

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 5:07:00 AM CST , Blogger MrsMixx said...

Oh I wouldn't recommend skipping the in-between books. Ever After is a follow-up of Pale Demon and it deals with many threads from the previous books.
Pale Demon was really really good. And I think this is when she started changing a bit.

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 8:43:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

You've got to hit me on Twitter after you've read it!

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 8:44:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I was too shocked to cry, I think. I kept waiting for it to be some kind of mistake or misunderstanding.

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 8:45:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I agree. It really builds off of Pale Demon. I loved that one too! A Perfect Blood... not so much.

 
At Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 9:53:00 AM CST , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

That's what I was waiting for. but it never happened.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home