Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Review: The Scottish Witch

Reviewed by Jen
 
There were things I enjoyed about this book, but it ended up a mixed bag for me.  I liked the premise: an entire line of men are cursed to die when they find love, thanks to the selfish actions of an ancestor.  Each book in the series follows a different Chattan man as he tries to avoid love and the subsequent death that will surely follow. In this installment, the hero is Harry Chattan, a man on a mission to break the curse in order to save his brother's life.

Harry's brother Lyon was the hero of book one. He fell in love despite his best efforts to avoid it and now he is at death's door. Harry is trying to track down the witch who created the curse... or any witch, really, who could help get rid of it. His search brings him to the Scottish town where Portia has moved with her mother and younger sister.

Portia has essentially given up on a life of her own. At 27, she isn't really swimming in prospects and --besides-- her younger sister needs her help to find happiness, and that's saying nothing of her selfish, widowed mother. But in the attic of their family home, Portia finds the spell book of Fenella, her witchy ancestor who started the Chattan curse.  When she finds out a new man in town is offering big money to find a witch, she aims to use the book to earn the money her family so desperately needs to survive.  Of course, her meeting with Harry sets them irrevocably on the path to love.

I liked both characters well enough. But I was put off by the progression of their relationship. First of all, their first coupling was way too abrupt and I wasn't entirely comfortable with whether Portia was a willing enough participant.  The sex scenes, in general, felt rushed.  It seemed like we zoomed through a lot of things I would have liked to see really play out on page, rather than just be told that they happened.   I never really felt like I saw these two fall in love, even though they obviously do.

It isn't bad. It just doesn't live up to its potential.  --It's also a HFN, as opposed to an HEA, which doesn't bother me, but it may not sit right with all readers.

Rating: C+

P.S. I hate it when the cover models look nothing like characters in the book are described. Does this make me petty?

*ARC Provided by Avon


Click to purchase: Amazon
The Scottish Witch
by Cathy Maxwell
Release Date: October 30, 2010
Publisher: Avon

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 4:54:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tanya @ Rantings of a Reading Addict said...

I am curious about this one. The ending of the first book near drove me crazy. Then I heard this one was coming out. I wasn't absolutely thrilled with the first one so am on the fence about reading this one. Doesn't sound like it would be worth it.

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 7:54:00 AM CDT , Blogger Proserpine said...

Hi! Never heard of this book or the first one either, but I love historical romance with highlanders or scotts. The cover would have draw my attention and the blurb too but after reading your review (thanks for sharing) I'm not sure if this series is for me. I'll probably try the first one anyway, just in case :P BTW I hate when the cover doesn't fit the characters!!!

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 11:40:00 AM CDT , Blogger Cathy V said...

"P.S. I hate it when the cover models look nothing like characters in the book are described. Does this make me petty? "... if that makes you petty then you're not alone! I feel exactly the same. When the character has short hair in the book but it's long on the cover or vice versa, or the hair is different colour it drives me nuts! Also with historicals when the clothing is so obviously from the 20th century, satin negligee for a book that takes place in the 1500's... really?!! The idiosyncrasies don't ruin the book for me, but they are one of my pet peeves. I'm glad I'm not the only one :)
Thanks for the review!

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 11:13:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I skipped the first one, but from what I understand, they both have the same kind of HFN ending.

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 11:14:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

If you do... let me know what you think.

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 11:14:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

The heroine in this book is supposed to be a mousy looking brunette with glasses. #fail

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home