Saturday, August 25, 2012

DNF: Sweet Talk

Reviewed by Allison
 
Olivia MacKenzie is an IRS agent with an agenda – to prove her father’s a crook who steals people’s investments & ruins people’s lives. When she inadvertently gets caught up in an FBI investigation while doing research on who else might be involved in his schemes, she meets Grayson Kincaid, sexy FBI agent. The two have instant attraction & even though they end up entangled in a case together, eventually they become entangled in bed. But, Olivia has quite the list of enemies that she is constantly fighting against, so the question is will she live long enough to see where it goes?

Unfortunately, as much as I love the cover, I could not finish this book. I made it about halfway through.

I normally LOVE romantic suspense, so I was really excited to try this book not only because I was in the mood for some action but to try a new prolific author such as Ms. Garwood. However, I found the dialogue stale, the story was boring, the timeline was too staggered & while I could see myself learning to like the characters, they, too, fell flat.

I’ve heard good things about Garwood’s historical romances, so I may try one of those but it’s not high on my to-read list.

Rating: DNF

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Click to purchase: Amazon
Sweet Talk
by Julie Garwood
Release Date: August 7, 2012
Publisher: Penguin


Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At Monday, August 27, 2012 at 9:25:00 AM CDT , Blogger Julie said...

I did finish this one...and it was sort of painful. Like you, I am done with her contemporary books :(

 
At Monday, August 27, 2012 at 11:19:00 AM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

Painful is a very apt way to describe it! I'm glad I'm not the only one :) I have heard that I should still give her older historicals a chance though. It's interesting that her books get worse over time than better, usually it's the other way around!

 
At Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 11:40:00 AM CDT , Blogger fishgirl182 said...

that's too bad that you didn't like this one. i actually just read it and liked it. it wasn't super suspenseful but i did like the characters a lot. i like garwood's historicals. you should definitely give them a try.

thuy @ nite lite reviews

 
At Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 12:06:00 PM CDT , Blogger Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I love Julie Garwood she is an amazing author. This seems to be a common response to this one though. I've found the most success with her historical romances because they are atypical of the genre (usually a little more complex and varied).

 
At Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 1:50:00 PM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

That's what I've heard so I'll definitely keep my eye out, thanks! :)

 
At Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 1:51:00 PM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

Atypical, huh? Sounds intriguing! I'll have to get on those because it's been an overwhelming response to this review both on here & GR. Thanks for the rec! :)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home