Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Review: Feast (Harvest of Dreams)

Maddie is a writer, recovering from a painful divorce and a bad case of writer's block. She returns to a small town where she vacationed as a child, hoping to find her muse. When she arrives, with her son and the family dog in tow, her imagination begins firing again almost right away.

Ash is thrilled that Maddie has returned. He encountered her when she was a child and recognized her vast creativity. He didn't claim her then, but hopes to correct that now... just in time for the impending hunt. Others of his kind are coming to join him, and he finds his heavy spirit lightning a bit, despite the heavy curse he has carried since the death of his wife. But one of his visitor has nefarious plans... and as treachery unfolds, it will change everyone's life forever.

If I managed to translate the story in any way that makes sense, I feel like I've earned some kind of reviewer merit badge. I spent almost the entire book at least half-way lost. I'm sure the author was trying to let the details come forth as the story unfolded, but I'm a bit partial to having more than a vague idea as to what is going on in the book I'm reading. For at least half of the book, I didn't even know if Ash was the hero or villain; whether he was a love interest for Maddie or a threat to her. I had no idea what the hell he was supposed to be. And frankly, when I found out, I was... underwhelmed. (On a side note, I also have to mention there were too many narrators, and the perspective changed with each of the 90+ chapters.)

The book wasn't horrible... but it's wasn't a good fit for me.  2 1/2 stars.

P.S. The cover is all wrong here. The lead character is a 32 year-old mom... not a 19 year-old biker-chick.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley
Feast (Harvest of Dreams) 
by Merrie Destefano
Release Date: June 28, 2011
Publisher: Harper Voyager

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 10:26:00 AM CDT , Blogger Dark Franny said...

Hi, actually it not the first time I see such a low rating for this book. I thought it was interesting but I'm going to remove it from my wishlist :)
BTW, I will be hosting an event with the topic of adult fiction, if you want to join, here are the first details http://darkfrannysthoughts.blogspot.com/2011/07/guest-post-wrap-up-news.html

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 3:25:00 PM CDT , Blogger Escape by Fiction said...

I as well did not really enjoy this one. I think i gave it a 2 out of 5. I think if maybe it hadn't been so all over the place, it would have been better OR maybe if what the creatures were had actually been explained it would have worked. So many things needed to make this work.

Good reading ~ Escape by Fiction :)

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 4:20:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

I'm with Franny...this isn't the first time I've seen a bad review on this book and one of the other ones convinced me not to place it on my TBR list...this just confirms my decision on that. I'm glad you at least gave it a try and stuck with the book.

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 4:23:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I hate the idea of not finishing a book. It feels like a failure. (So far, there has only been one book I couldn't make myself finish.)

But I think you're making a wise choice to skip this one.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 9:18:00 PM CDT , Blogger Kt Clapsadl said...

I completely agree. There was just too much going on in this book with little to no explanation. I gritted my teeth every time the perspective changed.. It's a wonder I have teeth left it happened so often.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home