Sunday, July 17, 2011

Review: Anchor and Storm


Reviewed by Jen
 
I'm not usually a big fan of menage stories for anything more than a dirty diversion. But Anchor and Storm is more than just a sexy romp. It's a love story. --I know, I know, I've seen the cover too. But I promise, there is more to this book than meets the eye.

Emily was governess to Edgar's nephew's children when he met her. Even though he was older and in poor health, the two of them fell for each other and married. To an outsider, it may have looked like Em married him for his money and title, but her love for him was very real.

Edgar quickly realizes that he needs to get Emily pregnant. An heir would secure her future in the event of his death. But conception proves to be elusive. Soon, Edgar determines that the illness wasting his legs is a genetic one. He refuses to pass the illness on to a child, but he desperately wants Emily to have a baby. Enter Angus. He is the Highland horse groom of Edgar's household. He's crazy for Emily, and though the feeling is mutual, she is fiercely loyal to her husband. She figures it's an attraction she will never act on, until Edgar makes a bold suggestion: let Angus get her pregnant to provide the needed heir.

Like I said before, this really is a love story. Edgar and Emily love each other deeply and completely. It's also clear that Angus and Emily grow to love each other as well. But it's all laid out in a way that I never felt Em betrayed her husband for even a moment. When the book progresses to a point that they're all in bed together, it was far more believable than the premise for many m/f/m's that I have read. There's some steamy sex, but nothing over the top or really dirty. There is no m/m vibe at all... just two men, who hold a mutual respect for one another, head over heels in love with same woman. 4 1/2 stars.

*Thanks to Ann at Under the Covers Book Blog for the recommendation
Anchor and Storm
by Kate Poole
Release Date: February 9, 2009
Publisher: Ellora's Cave 

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 9:23:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book of Secrets said...

Jen, I loved this book too. It was an emotional read for me. Menage stories can be hit or miss, and I felt like it really worked in this one. Great review!

 
At Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 11:06:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jennifer_After_Dark said...

That was a great review,,and I want to read this book,,,like NOW!!
Thanks
Jennifer B.

 
At Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 12:43:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thanks to both of you! This was such a fast read. I guess that is, in part, because I enjoyed it so much. But I read the whole thing in just a couple of hours.

Jennifer: I hope you enjoy it as much as Diana & I did.

Thanks again to Ann for the recommendation. :)

 
At Monday, July 18, 2011 at 1:13:00 PM CDT , Blogger Francesca said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it!! I was surprised with the cover and the actual content of the book. Maybe that's why i loved it so much. Totally caught off guard by how good it was.

Thanks for the shout-out, babe! Appreciate it!

 
At Monday, January 21, 2013 at 9:53:00 PM CST , Blogger oil painting said...

Jiangsu yaxing chain co., LTD. (AsAc) is a professional engaged in Marine cable and Marine mooring chain production enterprise, and it is China's Marine cable and Marine mooring chain production and export base, is the world's one of the largest in the industry, the most has the comprehensive strength of the modern enterprise.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home