Monday, May 30, 2011

Review: Touch the Dark


Reviewed by Jen
 
Cassie Palmer isn’t your average kick-ass Urban Fantasy heroine.  Maybe because she doesn’t kick ass. She’s not especially tough. She’s not even snarky.  But I think it’s the fact that the series feels so unique that I enjoyed it so much.

Cassie is a clairvoyant. She also sees and communicates with ghosts. In fact, one serves as something like a guardian angel… or as close to a guardian angel as the ghost of a gambling, alcohol and lady-loving cowboy can be. 

She grew up surrounded by vampires, and was raised by a horrible vamp named Tony. He had her parents killed and then used her gifts as a seer for his own gains. She got away from him and has been living her life in hiding, until now.  She’s been found and targeted. But the vampire senate steps in to save her.  They realize there is more to her power than even Cassie recognized. And they want to nurture her gifts in the hope that she will be loyal to them.

Cassie’s powers are growing, even in the short time she is with the senate.  She must deal with that, the growing threats to her life, and the distinct attentions of two vampires who want her for themselves.  Frankly, for much of the book, I didn’t know who I was rooting for. One minute, I figured it had to be Tomas… then I was drooling for Mircea.  The sexual tension is fantastic in the second half of the book and there are two really hot scenes that give us some payoff as well.

There is a lot of world-building to be done. And there are times that it intrudes on the flow. For me, this was more true in the first half.  What gave me a little more pause was the time-travel element. Whenever you start talking about changing history, things can get really hairy. I think it worked out ok, but it slowed down the wheels in my brain once or twice. 

But for the most part, I really enjoyed it. The ending isn’t exactly a cliffhanger, but there is clearly more story to tell. And I want to read it!  A dark, sexy start to the series. 4  stars.

Touch the Dark
by Karen Chance
Release Date: June 6, 2006
Publisher: Penguin Group, USA 

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Monday, May 30, 2011 at 9:56:00 AM CDT , Blogger Cait said...

Good review, it's been a while since I read this series-is this the first book? I love Mircea, I'm definitely rooting for him!

 
At Monday, May 30, 2011 at 10:33:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yes! I'm on book 3 right now. I'm really enjoying the series.

Jen

 
At Monday, May 30, 2011 at 11:54:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

I read the first 2 books, while I enjoyed them, I wasn’t IN LOVE with this series, but I have been thinking about picking it up again….looking forward to your review of book 3!
Book Savvy Babe

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home