Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review: Hunting Human

Reviewed by Jen
 
It’s always such a pleasure to come across an unexpected gem. From the summary blurb of Hunting Human, I figured it might be entertaining, but from the very beginning, it exceeded my expectations.

A few years ago, Beth and her best friend Rachel were kidnapped by werewolves during their backpacking trip across Europe. Rachel didn’t survive the ordeal. Beth did, but she emerged as something very different. And it’s more than the fact she was turned into the very thing that attacked her; the trauma cut her off from her old life; ended her studies; and ruined her for human relationships.

Now, she’s made a new life for herself in Portland. And slowly, she is letting the handsome and charming Braden become a part of it. The two of them have sizzling chemistry. And their courtship is great romance-reading. But neither of them knows that the other is a wolf. What’s more, Markko, the werewolf behind Beth’s attack all those years ago… is now searching for her again. And he happens to be from a clan that is Braden’s family’s greatest enemy. Of course, when each of them finds out that other can shift, there’s mistrust, ansgt, and a lot of drama. And that’s just the beginning. Markko is stalking them both.

There were so many things I liked about this story. I think my favorite was the initial relationship between Beth and Braden. It was sweet, sexy and believable. So when they turn on each other, I found myself gripping my e-reader, anxious for a reconciliation. The back-story of Beth’s attack is played out in a series of flashbacks. It’s terribly effective, because the horror of it all is meted out in increments, over time. The secondary characters are fleshed-out and likeable. (I’m still trying to find out who Lucy was trying on that dress for! I’d love a sequel featuring her, or Chase… or both.)

The only thing that kept me from 5 stars on this one was an angst-overload between Beth and Baden about 3/4 of the way into the book. I was ready for them to start understanding and trusting each other a bit before they got there.

Overall, I’m so glad I gave this book a chance. I only wish I had read it sooner. I hope to hear more from this author. 4 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley


Hunting Human
by Amanda Alvarez
Release Date: March 28, 2011
Publisher: Carina Press

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 10:01:00 PM CDT , Blogger Megan@Riverina Romantics said...

Great review Jen!

 
At Friday, June 3, 2011 at 2:12:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thanks Meg! You're always so great about leaving comments. I appreciate that!

Jen

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home